Best SA Receiver and Why???

I have a couple ARC actions.

They are nice but I can't comment on the quality of other actions, I just like the features and quality that they have.

I consider the Archimedes action to be the flagship and it is in the $1,400 range but for a short action or competition rifle, i think the $1,000 Nucleus does 99% as well.

They are nitrided for corrosion resistance, they have bolt clearances that are loose while you cycle and tighten up when you close the bolt, 3 lug interchangeable bolt head, dual cocking cams, controlled round feed, Mauser inspired claw extractor and Springfield style ejector with a bolt stop that is incredibly robust.

The Archimedes has all that plus an integrated recoil lug and a pivoting bolt handle primary extraction that makes extraction so powerful that it will remove any stuck case or rip off a huge piece of its rim trying. In my mind, that's great for pushing the limits in the biggest Magnum chamberings that will fit the action. I'm going with 338 RUM.

I dont think the ARC actions are aimed specifically at competition so while they do pretty well, they dont have big numbers.

I do know that you could do worse.

I am still a month out from my first custom arriving, but I went with a Bighorn TL3. It checks all the boxes for me, at range barrel swaps, CRF, manual ejector, swappable bolt heads. I have never actually seen one in person, so I have no idea what I'm in for.

Looking to build a SA in 6.5 caliber and want to know your thoughts on what action is best for the job? It will be a hunting/range steel banger. I would appreciate any info to be factual and not just because I like this... Pro's vs Con's etc .. Budget is 1400 and I want the action melonited or DLC of some sort.. Thanks in advance
Impact Precision 737R
Last build was a 6 creed. So good. So smooth. Tate and crew at Impact Precision have done it right.

I repeat myself on these forums when ppl ask which actions are best. I own a Stiller, a Shilen DGR, had some Remingtons and weatherby vanguards. The customs are nice, the factories felt pretty good and functioned as they should. The absolute best action I've ever manipulated was a defiance deviant. My next gun will be a 16.5" 7mm-08 built on one.

When I have questions like this I like to look and see what the pros use as that will give you a general idea of what works and what doesn't. Then you can fine tune things from there based on your own situation and requirements.

You mentioned the Terminus Zeus above and that action was originally designed by Joel for Curtis Customs (4th on the list below) as the Vector and Joel has since taken the design under his own Terminus brand and improved it even further under the Zeus name. I have one sitting on my bench and it's an amazing action. Its chassis is in the mail and I'm still saving for the barrel so I haven't shot it yet however.

Any of these top companies actions will serve you well so just pick which one has the features you like most. I chose the Zeus for the quick change barrel feature, and several other design features.View attachment 191886

I always look at the PRB data and like to see what the pros are using, but I also always wonder how much of the data is driven by sponsorship, personal relationships, pro discounts ... I'm sure all these top shooters have high standards or they wouldn't be where they are but I seriously doubt any of the guys shooting the top 5 brands would be any worse if shooting brands 6-10. I also wonder if some sneak on to the bottom of the list because they sponsor someone.

There are also guys running factory match ammo. I do not think this ammo is better than a top competitor's hand loads and I would almost guarantee they are not paying retail for it. Not saying this info isn't interesting or useful but you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I always look at the PRB data and like to see what the pros are using, but I also always wonder how much of the data is driven by sponsorship, personal relationships, pro discounts ... I'm sure all these top shooters have high standards or they wouldn't be where they are but I seriously doubt any of the guys shooting the top 5 brands would be any worse if shooting brands 6-10. I also wonder if some sneak on to the bottom of the list because they sponsor someone.

There are also guys running factory match ammo. I do not think this ammo is better than a top competitor's hand loads and I would almost guarantee they are not paying retail for it. Not saying this info isn't interesting or useful but you have to take it with a grain of salt.
I completely agree that many of those shooters are sponsored, that's a given that certainly has to be considered ... which I tried to imply in my post:

"When I have questions like this I like to look and see what the pros use as that will give you a general idea of what works and what doesn't. Then you can fine tune things from there based on your own situation and requirements."

"Any of these top companies actions will serve you well so just pick which one has the features you like most."

Like I said any action on that list will be a great action, and if you read through the thread the actions at the top of that list are the ones that have been repeatedly mentioned here. Plus if you compare the specs, options, manufacturing processes, etc it's easy to understand why those actions are at the top. It doesn't matter how free something is, people won't use it if it sucks is my thought at least.

I completely agree that many of those shooters are sponsored, that's a given that certainly has to be considered ... which I tried to imply in my post:

"When I have questions like this I like to look and see what the pros use as that will give you a general idea of what works and what doesn't. Then you can fine tune things from there based on your own situation and requirements."

"Any of these top companies actions will serve you well so just pick which one has the features you like most."

Like I said any action on that list will be a great action, and if you read through the thread the actions at the top of that list are the ones that have been repeatedly mentioned here. Plus if you compare the specs, options, manufacturing processes, etc it's easy to understand why those actions are at the top. It doesn't matter how free something is, people won't use it if it sucks is my thought at least.

I totally agree with what you said. My comments were not a criticism of your post; it was a more a commentary on the general feeling that I get sometimes where people think that whatever the comp guys use the most must be the best...

I totally agree with what you said. My comments were not a criticism of your post; it was a more a commentary on the general feeling that I get sometimes where people think that whatever the comp guys use the most must be the best...
Yep sorry, I was agreeing with you as well and was a little concerned my response would come off as offended or upset with your first comment ... I should have been more clear that we were basically saying the same thing in agreement. đź‘Ť

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.