Best rangefinder for the price?

Kaolru

My boyfriend goes out to Idaho every year to hunt elk and mule deer, and is in need of a new rangefinder. The one he has currently is geared more toward archery hunting at close range. He's looking for something that ranges up to 1200yds or more. I'm not familiar with rangefinders, as I'm mostly an archery hunter, and I know my ranges.

I've looked at brands from Leupold to Leica and several in between. I'm just not sure what gives you the best product for the money (Budget is around $600). Also, I'd like to find something that is ideal for long range as well as close range archery if that's possible. It seems like the Sig 2000 and Leica 2000b are not archery friendly, but that's just my uneducated observation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping this will end up being a great Christmas gift!

Last edited:
If you could give us a budget range that would help narrow it down. I carry the Leupold 1200i tbr that cost around $350, I've also used the Sig 2400 kilo that costs $1500. Depends on what level of built in ballistics software you need built in which type will work best for you.

For example, the Leupold has 25 built in rifle loads, you have to choose the one that is closest to your actual ballistics, in my case load #2 matches my rifle within 1-2 clicks out to 500 yards, beyond that I would use the ballistics app on my phone. The Sig has your exact ballistics stored inside, so it will match out to any range, also comes with a wind meter, hence the higher cost.

If you could give us a budget range that would help narrow it down. I carry the Leupold 1200i tbr that cost around $350, I've also used the Sig 2400 kilo that costs $1500. Depends on what level of built in ballistics software you need built in which type will work best for you.

For example, the Leupold has 25 built in rifle loads, you have to choose the one that is closest to your actual ballistics, in my case load #2 matches my rifle within 1-2 clicks out to 500 yards, beyond that I would use the ballistics app on my phone. The Sig has your exact ballistics stored inside, so it will match out to any range, also comes with a wind meter, hence the higher cost.

Thank you. Maximum budget would be around $600 I'd say.
I wish I knew more about this, but I'm completely lost, and he's not much help either. We're both more archery hunters than anything, but he is very good with his rifle at long range out west. He just needs something that can help him out with that.

I'd suggest one of the Sig Kilo's. The Sig Kilo 2200 is $499 @ Long Range store. I have the 1350 and love the clarity and accuracy. In addition, I've used mine archery hunting a couple of times. Suppose to go down to something like 1 yard minimum but I've not played with it at that short a range.
Their 2400 models run in the mid-1500 or so range but this would probably do most of what he wants without breaking the bank.

I'll second the recommendation of a Sig Kilo 2200. I have a 2400 and love it, but it's out of your price range. The Sig 2200 should range anything he wants to shoot, just no ballistics like the 2400, so he will need to use an app or table for long range. No big deal. The Leicas are nice, but I would go Sig 2200 for sure.

The sig 2200 should be an excellent choice. If you can find the sig 2000 you could probably pick it up for around the $350 mark. I have the sig 2000 and use it for archery and rifle. Light, easy to handle, fairly clear optics and seems to be accurate. Good luck and have fun.

It seems like the Sig 2000 and Leica 2000b are not archery friendly, but that's just my uneducated observation.

Either of these two rangefinders should work fine for archery since they give angle modified range, or equivalent horizontal range as leica calls it. I have the Sig Kilo 2000 and it ranges down to 5 yards. The Sig Kilo 2200MR is the updated version of the 2000 and would be an excellent choice too. Be advised that the $499 for the 2200MR is the minimum advertised price and you can find it cheaper if you call around for prices. Cabela's also has their version of it on sale for $399 right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-KILO-LRH-RANGE/2605463.uts?slotId=1

Last edited:
The bushnell elite conX 1 mile rangefinder is a dandy, and is on sale at brownells for $279. Retails for $799. it's very capable with some great features, blue tooth, wireless kestrel inputs, and you can also put your own data in for true drop data down range.

Thank you for the recommendations. It seems the favorite is the Sig 2200, and that's probably what I'm going to go with. I'll hunt around a bit to see where I can get a decent price.
Either of these two rangefinders should work fine for archery since they give angle modified range, or equivalent horizontal range as leica calls it. I have the Sig Kilo 2000 and it ranges down to 5 yards. The Sig Kilo 2200MR is the updated version of the 2000 and would be an excellent choice too. Be advised that the $499 for the 2200MR is the minimum advertised price and you can find it cheaper if you call around for prices. Cabela's also has their version of it on sale for $399 right now.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SIG-KILO-LRH-RANGE/2605463.uts?slotId=1

I'm curious as to why the camo version is $100 cheaper than the black when the specs are identical. Not as popular, perhaps. Regardless, I would have chosen the camo option anyway as it matches rather well to all his gear. Thank you for the link!

The Leica and the Kilo 2200 are the two best right now, I bow hunt and long range hunt with both, I still favor my Leica though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.