Best Rangefinder for the money?

(1) Swaro
(2) Leica

I use a Nikon 400 yard. Yeah it does 400 yards on white background and it has to be absolutely still. It will range deer and hogs out to 250 however the beam gets to big at distances beyond that to range effectively.

Fur doesn't subject itself well to reflectivity either and is a poor indicator of distance unless you have a LRF of military quality or the Swaro or Leica. If you hunt a place religiously then I suggest borrowing a good LRF and placing 24X24 white or yellow placards at ranges and marking the surrounding areas for known distances.

The old "wild" does come in handy and will range much further than the current Swaro and Leica but its a manual machine and you may or may not have the time to range what you're going to shoot.

LRFs

For use on Varmints in bright sunlight , I have used three : an old Tasco good to 400 yards or so . If 900 yards or so .....is OK , my Leica 1200 Scan worked great and I preferred its ergonomics and sighting reticle to the other two . For long Range out to 1700 Yards or so , the Swaro is the Ticket . However , what really floored me ....is that I got 2 Swaro duds .....before I got a good one . I would advise anyone to take their new LRF out .....and Test it ! Quality Control on these units definitely could be improved !

I've personally used one each of these three different rangefinders. Bushnell Elite 1500, Leica 1200, and Swarovski 8x30s. My Swarovski will range to ~1700 yds, the Leica to ~1000 yds, the Bushnell Elite to ~ 900 yds. The Swarovski has the best glass and resolution hands down. Then the Leica, then the Bushnell. With these three units, you do get what you pay for. The more you pay, the better the unit's performance and resolution. The Swarovski's are so clear that sometimes I will only carry them, and leave the binoculars behind.

Only the purchaser can determine which is the best for the money, as that depends on your financial situation. If you only need to range to 1000 yds, I'd take the Leica's. If you need to range to 1500 +yds, you'll need to pay up for the Swarovski's