Best Nf atacr for hunting?

Dirt_Nap

Narrowed my optic choices to the atacr. This optic will be on my main hunting rifle. Going with the Mil-C reticle. Which atacr would you recommend for hunting out west?

I have had and still do have two ATACR's on Hunting Rifles. The 4-20 x 50 is a sweet choice. I had the 4-16 x 50 but am getting older and the additional magnification offered by the 4-20 is nice. I have the 5-25-x 56 on a hunting rifle as well but it is a little heavy to carry all day. I think you would be very happy with either, I would just lean towards the 4-20.

4x18, or 20, 50mm+ lens, 32 to 34 mm tube. I haven't looked at a ATACR in sometime. So some of my info mybe a little off. The large tube generally get you more elevation adjustment.

I love having it and not needing it rather than needing it and not having it.
That's why I have the 7x35x56 on my 45XML SML. But I'll say get the one with more mag range as its there if you ever need it. Best of luck

If you're hunting out west and don't think you will have any quick shots closer than 100 yards, go with the 5-25x56. It's a little heavier but you have the extra magnification. The sight picture looks better at around 18-20 on that one than it does on a 4-20 maxed out. If you think you will have some close shots, go with the 4-20.

4-16x50 F2. I know it's not a popular opinion, but I just don't like F1 scopes for hunting. If your using an atacr, then your dialing for distance anyway, so reticle sub-tension is irrelevant anyway. If your far enough away that you are going to be making windage adjustments, you'll probably be at max mag anyway. Just my personal preference. That being said I don't carry either of my atacrs anymore, my Zeiss v6 3-18x50 goes hunting with me, 11 oz's lighter and has taken any and everything I can throw at it.

4-20, it's the middle ground scope. You can shot a long ways with 20x and 4x is just good enough fov to still whack something close if you jump it on the edge of some timber. The 4-16 is my favorite bomber all round scope but the 20x might be better on a dedicated lr rig.