Best Nightforce long range hunting scope? Nx8? Atacr?

I have 2- NX8 2.5-20 and one NX8 4-32 on hunting rifles, both are F1. I have an Atacr 7-35 on a long range rig.

For hunting, I think the size and durability of the NX8's are awesome. Smaller, lighter, and much more compact than the Atacr, with NF durability. As some have mentioned, the eye box can be a little finicky if you don't have a good cheek wield established, but I've never had an issue in the field. I use Triad stock packs on my hunting rifles, which offer easy height adjustments and are comfortable enough to fall asleep on ;).

The 2.5- 20 is more than enough for 600 yard hunting but the 4-32 is nice for LR shooting.

I doubt you'd be disappointed with any of them. It probably comes down to the type of hunting you'll be doing. Stand hunting with minimal hiking, Atacr might be fine as the size and weight may be irrelevant. Chasing elk around the mountains, I think you'd be happier with the NX8.

The difference in weight is 1.4oz between the NX8 and ATACR you're looking at and the ATACR is 1" shorter. If you can get them at the same price, absolutely get the ATACR.
I see the 4-16x42 fairly often for 1800 ish, I guess I have also seen the 4-32 for 16-1700, close enough

Hey I just sold my nxs 2.5-10x42 to find something with higher mag range, currently looking at the nx8 4-32 and atacr 4-16x42, what do you all think about both of these, I have been seeing both for about 1800 used give or take a couple hundred bucks…. I'm putting it on my 6.5 creed, I want to shoot out to 600 ish while hunting, but I also want to be able to shoot for tiny groups since I enjoy doing so… I have a range with a silhouette plate at 1200 yards I'd like to shoot as well
Save your money and get better clarity.We compared 7 Top Scopes from 100 yds to past 3,000 yards .
Buy the new Tract Toric 4-25×50
That's Athlon Cronus BTR, Athlon Ares ETR, Nightforce ATACR, ,Zeiss S3 , Zeiss S5,Tract Toric 4-25×50.I own the last 3 listed,my friends in the 1st 3 listed.The Athlon Crous BTR was the brightest ,and the Tract and Cronus were so close.The ,Zeiss S5 was close 3rd,tge Zeiss S3 was 4th,The Nightforce was 5th.
We're were at an ELR Match in Kansas.This was done at about 4pm after match was over.

Attachments

• IMG_20230624_162353.jpg
    IMG_20230624_162353.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 93
I say go for the NX8 2.5-20. It's lighter weight and its low end mag is perfect for quick or close shots and top end mag is higher than you would ever need for hunting anything but prairie dogs. I've had a few ATACRs and they are good scopes, but the NX8 is the only NF scope I kept. You might also look around for a used Leica Magnus. You could prob find one for less than 3k and it will blow any NF scope out of the water for hunting (it's SFP though).

All this said, you haven't said what kind of hunting this is for. If you're sitting in a deer stand, then weight and durability are less of a concern, and you should go for clarity and lowlight performance. The top of its class in this department will be the Magnus or Schmidt Polar or TT315, but for a lot less money you can use a Swarovski z5i 3-18 and get fantastic optical performance and a super lightweight scope, just without the reliability (which you really won't need hunting whitetail) of the turrets. If FFP is a must, get an NX8 for $1700 street. If you intend to use it for a mountain gun to hunt sheep, muleys or elk, I would go with an FFP March 3-24 for about the same price if you are patient. I've owned all of the above scopes except the March, which I have handled and looked through and really like.

Now that I think about it, I would also look at the Leica Amplus. Eurooptic has a ridiculous sale on it right now. I've never had an Amplus but I think Leica makes the best glass in the business and I would gladly give the Amplus a shot for that sale price. If you are okay with SFP, then the Amplus is going to be the best bang for your buck for a hunting scope.

I say go for the NX8 2.5-20. It's lighter weight and its low end mag is perfect for quick or close shots and top end mag is higher than you would ever need for hunting anything but prairie dogs. I've had a few ATACRs and they are good scopes, but the NX8 is the only NF scope I kept. You might also look around for a used Leica Magnus. You could prob find one for less than 3k and it will blow any NF scope out of the water for hunting (it's SFP though).

All this said, you haven't said what kind of hunting this is for. If you're sitting in a deer stand, then weight and durability are less of a concern, and you should go for clarity and lowlight performance. The top of its class in this department will be the Magnus or Schmidt Polar or TT315, but for a lot less money you can use a Swarovski z5i 3-18 and get fantastic optical performance and a super lightweight scope, just without the reliability (which you really won't need hunting whitetail) of the turrets. If FFP is a must, get an NX8 for $1700 street. If you intend to use it for a mountain gun to hunt sheep, muleys or elk, I would go with an FFP March 3-24 for about the same price if you are patient. I've owned all of the above scopes except the March, which I have handled and looked through and really like.

Now that I think about it, I would also look at the Leica Amplus. Eurooptic has a ridiculous sale on it right now. I've never had an Amplus but I think Leica makes the best glass in the business and I would gladly give the Amplus a shot for that sale price. If you are okay with SFP, then the Amplus is going to be the best bang for your buck for a hunting scope.
Concur. I have the Amplus 6 3-18x44 on my 260 Rem and it's has better glass (IMO) than the NF NXS 3.5-15x50 on the 7 STW. Brighter and clearer to my eye, especially early/late light. I don't twirl the knobs, just use the MOA reticle and the ballistic dope taped to my stock. Has worked on everything I've shot at (much to their detriment). That Amplus is a damned good scope for the $$$.

Shame the Leica is 2nd focal plane.
I'd be all over it.

Last edited:
Save your money and get better clarity.We compared 7 Top Scopes from 100 yds to past 3,000 yards .
Buy the new Tract Toric 4-25×50
That's Athlon Cronus BTR, Athlon Ares ETR, Nightforce ATACR, ,Zeiss S3 , Zeiss S5,Tract Toric 4-25×50.I own the last 3 listed,my friends in the 1st 3 listed.The Athlon Crous BTR was the brightest ,and the Tract and Cronus were so close.The ,Zeiss S5 was close 3rd,tge Zeiss S3 was 4th,The Nightforce was 5th.
We're were at an ELR Match in Kansas.This was done at about 4pm after match was over.

That's interesting analysis. I've owned the Athlon Cronus BTR, NX8 4-32 and ATACR 7-35. The Cronus was good, but both Nightforce scopes clearly beat the Cronus for me in brightness, clarity, sharpness, low light performance and ability to see through mirage, just seemed like better glass. But everyone's eyes are different, it can be subjective.

Anyone here owned a Maven scope?
Love some feedback on how they compare to the Nightforce, Athlon etc etc.
Reviews I've seen is bettet clarity to the Tract Toric, but that's about the only comparison I've seen..

Nx8 in a 2.5x20 imo, I've sold all my other nf scopes including a few atcar's. The glass and fov holds up well to most anything unless you get a dudd. It's a lot of scope in a small package though. The only grip I have and for some I'm sure it's a deal breaker, and that's the eyebox on the nx8 line is less forgiving no doubt about it. The 20x being better than the 32 imo.

Just left the range a few hours ago. Shot until last light at 300yds with my ATACR.
The party would have been over much sooner with either of my NX8's.