Best Lightweight Long Range Hunting Scope

JGRJR

A couple parameters.

Shots out to 1000yds+
Exposed adjustment knobs.
Lightweight
At least 15x
No cost limit-I would like to pay less but would want to hear all the options.

For something comparable to a Nightforce but without the weight I would go for the March 2.5-25x42 or the 52mm for better low light conditions. 120 MAO of travel and weighs in around 23oz. The Zeiss HD5's don't have a lot of elevation, the VX-6 isn't a bad choice. I had tried the VX-2's 3-9x at 10oz but 2 of them wouldn't track so I'm thru with those. I would get more of the Marches as they are light and compact, like a mini Nightforce, but kind of pricey.
https://www.bullets.com/products/2-5-25-x-42mm-Tactical-Knob-MTR-1/MAR1013

I settled on a VX-6 3-18x50 although the 44mm model is lighter I opted for a little more glass up front. It's on a 6lb 6.5x284 that I am in the process of backing the load down as it's really hard to shoot even with a brake. Would be tough to squeeze 1,000 yards out of it, 600 is ok though. It just flies off the bags so I'm trying lighter bullets and slower. In the future I think it's best to stick with an 8lb gun and save weight on other gear like packs. Or better yet loose a couple pounds myself.
Let us know what you come up with.

Considering my NF scopes too heavy and bulky for my taste, I have found the Huskemaw 5x20 is sized right, light weight, and flawless in terms of reliability and performance. I have used two on my carry LR rigs over the past several years to take a few dozen deer, antelope, and coyotes out to 1200 yards.

Greyfox,
How do you like the Huskemaw glass and reticle compared to your Nightforce? How would you rate it?

I'm surprised more people don't mention Huskemaw for lightweight long range rigs?

Greyfox,
How do you like the Huskemaw glass and reticle compared to your Nightforce? How would you rate it?

I'm surprised more people don't mention Huskemaw for lightweight long range rigs?

I have a hard time seeing a difference in glass quality between the Huskemaw and the NSX(my ATACR is better then either). The turret reproducibility of my Huskemaws is second to none! I understand Huskemaw uses the same source for glass as the NSX. I'm not sure why it doesn't get more mentions but my guess is that it's because the company is smaller then most of the other manufacturers, and, it looks and feels more like a hunting scope then a tactical scope......which seems to be the rage these days. A number of other LR hunters I know that own the Huskemaw have had similar success and feel as I do.

I have a hard time seeing a difference in glass quality between the Huskemaw and the NSX(my ATACR is better then either). The turret reproducibility of my Huskemaws is second to none! I understand Huskemaw uses the same source for glass as the NSX. I'm not sure why it doesn't get more mentions but my guess is that it's because the company is smaller then most of the other manufacturers, and, it looks and feels more like a hunting scope then a tactical scope......which seems to be the rage these days. A number of other LR hunters I know that own the Huskemaw have had similar success and feel as I do.

When I considered a Huskemaw I took my Swarovski z5 5-25X52 with me. I stapled an eye chart on a power pole over 300 yards from the parking lot of the store. Then I took the Huskemaw out to the sandbag on top of my car. After several minutes I could not tell which one had better glass. I asked the store employee if he would do the same and he came up with the same results.

What I'm saying is the Huskemaw glass is really good for the money.

That says a lot. I hold Swarovski and Nightforce glass in high regards. Good actual use info. Thank you

Greyfox, I quite looking at Huskemaw after reading their adjustments were .3 moa instead of the industry standard .25 moa. Why are they doing it this way? KISS.

Greyfox, I quite looking at Huskemaw after reading their adjustments were .3 moa instead of the industry standard .25 moa. Why are they doing it this way? KISS.

Huskemaw's 1/3 moa click value actually equates to the same thing as .1mil clicks.
In a round about way, the scopes are manufactured as mil-scopes (by click-value graduation) then are set-up as 1/3 MOA scopes to pair with their Huntsmart MOA reticle. And it works as it should-- I shoot Mil-scopes as well* The Huskemaw's work as an either/or scope when using 1/3moa dope charts OR .1mil(1/10th mil) charts. As I said (in my opinion) the main reason for marketing them as 1/3 MOA scopes is to give them the moa/moa title that pairs properly with that reticle.

Just like Greyfox, I too shoot a couple Huskemaw's.. they're on my hunting rigs for exactly the reason the OP asked about... for lightweight LR Hunting. I have nearly 1400 (magnum) rounds through my 3-12 and hundreds of miles on it in a saddle scabbard standing up to horses' abuse... it's never missed a beat. Really like that scope.

When the Huskemaw was introduced it was one of the few scopes designed specifically for long range hunting that offered a 20 MOA revolution in a more compact scope. The Nightforce had a 10 MOA turret revolution and the mark 4 Leupold , 15 MOA per revolution. The company explained that the .3MOA divisions enabled a 20 MOA revolution in a compact size, without turret clutter....and, very high precision. With long range cartridges you could dial to 1000 yards in one revolution. Since Huskemaw offered both MOA and yardage turrets, you could dial to 1000 yards with a yardage turret within one revolution. So this was originally done for the reason of simplicity. As I had mentioned, I had the same hesitation with the .3 clicks. Now, after using them for several years I have to say that it has made no difference in ease of use or my ability to effectively take game at long range. Interestingly, few realize that Huskemaw pioneered many of today's hot scope features being offered by the big guys......speed turrets, zero stop, ranging reticle etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.