Best scope for long range and hunting?

Thanks for all the great advice guys. John A- good point about dialing for drop and holding for wind, as you suspected I had never thought of that before. Looks like I've got some homework to do. Man it sure would be sweet if I could find a dealer that had all three of these in stock for me to compare side by side.

Thanks again,
Matt

M_Shock,

I'm going thru the same process now and suffering from analysis paralysis. I have finally decided to go with the SFWA 3-9 scope I mentioned earlier. It will go on a Remy XCR compact 308 for hunting out to 300 yd and targets to 600. Its mil/mil and FFP. All the reviews I've read rate SWFA (fka Super Sniper) very well for the price plus excellent customer service.

Good luck with your decision.

I prefer to dial drop and hold wind so a reticle with good reference marks is very useful.

It takes some "thinking" and "observing" before deciding what the final wind hold will be. I find looking through the scope at mirage, movement of foliage around the target, etc, helps me decide while I'm already on the target. Not to mention it'll often change between the time you dial and get on the target so it's sometimes unavoidable.

+1 for this concept. Problem is, there are very few reticle options in the price range you mentioned that offer windage marks of any kind for the windage hold off. Mildots are about the only good option. I would suggest, if you like the concept JonA mentioned, that you get a mildot reticle for windage hold off purposes and forget the vertical mildots ( you could use them later if you wanted to learn how to use them etc.)

A couple thoughts.

I would personally be careful of going too high, on the low and high end of the magnification range, for a true hunting scope. I personally wouldn't go over 4x for the low end and prefer 2.5-3 for hunting just because I would hate to spend all the time and money to set up a medium to long range hunting rifle only to have the trophy of a lifetime sneaking through the trees at 50 yards and not be able to find him quickly enough in my scope because the field of view is so small.

Also, I tend to think that many guys over power their scopes on the high end. Higher magnification causes more shakiness with anything but perfectly stable rests. It also causes parallax issues if you go over 10x. Not a huge deal but does require correction which means a heavier scope. On a hunting rifle that isn't a good thing unless you are a tree stand kind of hunter. I would agree with another poster that stated 10x is doable to 1k yards to even 9x would be fine for 800 yards.

The SS series of scopes does come in a variable now. It is a 3-9 and would be a really nice option IMO. It is closer to $600 though. It is a first focal plane reticle which means that the reticle stays the same size in relation to the target regardless of power change. This is a nice option for a hunting scope IMO as long as the reticle size doesn't grow so large that it becomes too big at high magnification and cover too much of the target for your liking. I don't think this would be an issue for a 3-9 scope. I too have heard excellent things about the SS scopes and it is actually on my short list for a long range carry gun. It is also mil turret/mil reticle which to me is a plus just because you are keeping things as simple as possible if you did decide to use the mildot reticle. My guess is that you would end up using it more than you think. Maybe not for hold over on longer shots but for sighting in your gun and making follow up shots adjustments, on targets only of course! :)

My 2 cents. Good luck in your search!

Gardien- I know what you mean about the analysis paralysis! There is so many options, and having so little experience makes it even harder cause I don't want to make a decision now that I'll regret later on. But I feel like everyone here is giving good pointers so that helps a lot.

Scot E- I'm starting to see the benefits of having a mil-dot reticle, but I haven't been able to find a scope in my price range (500) that has one, any suggestions for me?

One thing I'm still confused on is mil adj. vs. moa adj. Does anyone know of a easy to read article or write up that could help explain this to a new guy?

Thanks again
Matt

Gardien- I know what you mean about the analysis paralysis! There is so many options, and having so little experience makes it even harder cause I don't want to make a decision now that I'll regret later on. But I feel like everyone here is giving good pointers so that helps a lot.

Scot E- I'm starting to see the benefits of having a mil-dot reticle, but I haven't been able to find a scope in my price range (500) that has one, any suggestions for me?

One thing I'm still confused on is mil adj. vs. moa adj. Does anyone know of a easy to read article or write up that could help explain this to a new guy?

Thanks again
Matt

Matt,

Take a look at the Motec and Falcon Menace scopes. Wonder Optics I think sells them. I hear good things about them and their reticules. They are all under $500. If you want Mil/Mil they have them and also FFP.

joseph

PS: reading Mil is the same as making change for a dollar bill. Everything is in tens.

Thanks again
Matt

Hi Matt,

Your search for a mil turret/mil reticle may start and end with the Super Sniper, at least on a platform that is proven tough and repeatable with good glass and excellent customer service. There are some other optic companies mentioned that may offer options but I have a real hard time going with a scope that doesn't have a solid track record at least in the durability and repeatability categories.

SWFA used to have a special going on their 3-9 SS where you got good rings, scope, and a couple other accessories for $599. Not sure if that is still an option but it would end up being very close to your budget unless you already have rings, etc.

There are some other options as well in your budget.

Bushnell's 3200 series makes a 5-15 for around $350 I think. For me it is a bit high on the low end power side but sounds like it may be very close to what you are looking for. I have had very good luck with their 3200's. tough as nails, good glass, excellent turrets for the price. I think they have a mildot in the legend series as well but am not sure you want to step down that low. I am not sure what caliber you plan to put this scope on. Sorry you might have mentioned that earlier.

Vortex's viper line has a 6.5-20 and I think they still have a $50 rebate going on which should put you under $450. I really like this line and it gets excellent reviews.

Sightron big sky 3-12x42 is another good one. I really like this power range personally. I am not sure what turrets they have as far as target or standard. This may not be an option if they only offer thumb bar style. I think they have a $50 rebate going as well.

Nikon Monarch has a 2.5-10($400) and a 4-16 ($450). These are rated very well in all departments and the price is right. They used to have custom turret options as well if that was of interest to you.

Some things to keep in mind.

The list I just gave you are all 2nd focal plane reticles meaning the distance between the dots will change depending on the magnification you are using. So you have to either have the magnification set to the correct setting, usually the max setting, to have the mildots read correctly or you have to do some extra home work to come up with correct measurements at another desired magnification setting. Not necessarily a bad thing just something you need to be aware of.

The SS is first focal plane which would allow you to use it on any power and keep the same relationship between reticle, or dots in the reticle, and the target.

Here are some good reads on what you asked about.

Good luck my friend!

http://www.mil-dot.com/Content%20Images/The_Derivation_of_the_Range_Estimation_Equations.pdf
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18153&KW=mil+vs+moa&PID=227162#227162
http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=18809&KW=mil+vs+moa&PN=1

Thanks a ton for the all the replies everyone. It appears I have some more reading to do before I make a decision. Who would have thought that long range shooting for a hobby would have so much research involved! You fellas are making easier for me though, and that is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

I would add to this discussion some information about the low magnification end of a variable power scope. There are many seasoned hunters who won't go afield with anything but a 6X, usually a Leupold 6x42 here in the US. I would add the caveat that these are folks who see no need for a variable power scope. I think for variable users, the ubiquitous 3-9x40 by far leads the pack in sales. (I say that w/out having any figures in front of me). I don't think you're hampered by...say a 6-24x50 variable. If you notice, with the exception of Nightforce, almost all scope companies have a top-end variable the is 5-25, 6-24, 8.5-25.....

I would question the utility of the 8.5-25 (Leupold) on the low end. 6X is the highest I want on the low end of variable hunting scope.

I would add to this discussion some information about the low magnification end of a variable power scope. There are many seasoned hunters who won't go afield with anything but a 6X, usually a Leupold 6x42 here in the US. I would add the caveat that these are folks who see no need for a variable power scope. I think for variable users, the ubiquitous 3-9x40 by far leads the pack in sales. (I say that w/out having any figures in front of me). I don't think you're hampered by...say a 6-24x50 variable. If you notice, with the exception of Nightforce, almost all scope companies have a top-end variable the is 5-25, 6-24, 8.5-25.....

I would question the utility of the 8.5-25 (Leupold) on the low end. 6X is the highest I want on the low end of variable hunting scope.

Nightforce makes a 5.5X22 power in both a 50mm and a 56mm objective

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts