Best Nightforce long range hunting scope? Nx8? Atacr?

joko111

Hey I just sold my nxs 2.5-10x42 to find something with higher mag range, currently looking at the nx8 4-32 and atacr 4-16x42, what do you all think about both of these, I have been seeing both for about 1800 used give or take a couple hundred bucks…. I'm putting it on my 6.5 creed, I want to shoot out to 600 ish while hunting, but I also want to be able to shoot for tiny groups since I enjoy doing so… I have a range with a silhouette plate at 1200 yards I'd like to shoot as well

I had an NX8 4-32 on my hunting rifle for a season. Wasn't crazy about the floating dot reticle, so I got an ATACR 5-25 w/ MOAR-T. Much better for my taste in hunting reticles. I put the NX8 on a CZ rimfire. Both scopes will work well for what you are doing, just comes down to which reticle you like more.

So I have both, NX8 on a 6.5CM NRL Hunter build and the ATACR 4-16X42 on my hunting rifle. That ATACR is a perfect fit on a dialing hunting rifle. The windage is not locked/capped, but rotation limited so you can only go a half rev each way. The elevation turret button lock just works slick, and it doesn't feel like a huge tank of a scope. It not ultra lightweight or tiny, but much smaller than some of the 5-25 monster scopes.

The exil pupil is also much larger on both the bottom and top end compared to the NX8 which makes it appear much brighter in low light and easier to get behind.

So I have both, NX8 on a 6.5CM NRL Hunter build and the ATACR 4-16X42 on my hunting rifle. That ATACR is a perfect fit on a dialing hunting rifle. The windage is not locked/capped, but rotation limited so you can only go a half rev each way. The elevation turret button lock just works slick, and it doesn't feel like a huge tank of a scope. It not ultra lightweight or tiny, but much smaller than some of the 5-25 monster scopes.

The exil pupil is also much larger on both the bottom and top end compared to the NX8 which makes it appear much brighter in low light and easier to get behind.
But at same power, the NX8 will have a larger exit pupil bc of the 42mm objective of the ATACR. Get the 50mm ATACR if you are worried about that.

But at same power, the NX8 will have a larger exit pupil bc of the 42mm objective of the ATACR. Get the 50mm ATACR if you are worried about that.
Check the spec sheets. The ATACR at 4x is bigger than the NX8 at 4x even with a smaller objective. 10.3mm vs 7.3mm and the 50mm ATACR only has 9.3.

Just for reference,A young healthy human eye can dilate to about 8mm in pitch black, slightly more with adrenaline.

Hey I just sold my nxs 2.5-10x42 to find something with higher mag range, currently looking at the nx8 4-32 and atacr 4-16x42, what do you all think about both of these, I have been seeing both for about 1800 used give or take a couple hundred bucks…. I'm putting it on my 6.5 creed, I want to shoot out to 600 ish while hunting, but I also want to be able to shoot for tiny groups since I enjoy doing so… I have a range with a silhouette plate at 1200 yards I'd like to shoot as well
Definitely get the atacr, I've owned and been behind several other nx8s, they're a dud

Downside is the ATACRs are heavy. I dropped down to a Horus on my 6.5 PRC because the point of that rifle was to be light weight. May or may not be an issue for your setup, I like the ATACRs on rifles where doesn't matter or is a bonus.

Check the spec sheets. The ATACR at 4x is bigger than the NX8 at 4x even with a smaller objective. 10.3mm vs 7.3mm and the 50mm ATACR only has 9.3.

Just for reference,A young healthy human eye can dilate to about 8mm in pitch black, slightly more with adrenaline.
I was under the impression that Obj diameter / mag level was the calc whereas it looks like it is an approximation that breaks down on lower powers.

I shoot Nxs's and Shv's, my father in law bought an Atacr that I have shot once. The only downfall I found with the Atacr is the eye relief.

I've had great luck with the NF NX8 4-32X50 model in F1. I've had two now and it's my favorite all around scope. I had the 2.5-20x50 model in F2 and never had an issue but didn't love it. There's less than a 1 ounce difference between those two so I'll just be using & recommending the 4-32 going forward.

The ATACR is legendary. I can't see why it wouldn't be an "upgrade" per say. The advantages are supposed to be increased durability, repeatability, better glass (over an NX8). The drawbacks are added weight/bulk and cost.

I have an ATACR 5-25x56 F1 on its way for a 300 NMI build. The ATACR is home on heavier & higher recoiling builds for sure. I think most builds would be best suited for the NX8. It's just very well balanced for price, weight, and capabilities.

You won't go wrong either way though, and you'll be getting NF dependability!

Check them out in person. I considered the NX8 for a while, until I looked through one at my GS's shop. I could not get comfortable behind it. The eyebox didn't seem to work FOR ME. I have an ATACR 5-25, and while I haven't spent a lot of time behind it, it is much easier to use vs NX8 4-32. Some people love the NX8, but we aren't all made the same.

Good luck in your quest.