Best (most solid) rings/bases

Clem Bronkoski

I'm pretty fond of Tikka rifles knowing how well they shoot. And I'm also getting the itch to start this long range stuff. I'm looking into getting a T3x Varmint stainless (I'm lefty and they don't make it in the blued version) in 6.5 Creedmoor.

For that rifle, the spuhr direct mount. It's machined for the dovetail so there is not in between pic rail interface. or, like i'll be doing, find a sako trg 3 ring mount and mill off the recoil lug on the bottom. then you've got a hell of a scope mount for less than the spuhr. or just get a good rail with lug and a decent set of rings, and you'll be fine.

Spuhr Rings are the most solid rings I've ever owned. No POI change when I remove a scope for cleaning
992BF250-A6F8-4701-BFE1-ADEC0227FAC5.jpeg

I have 5 Tikka T3 Lites and love them all, 270win, .308, 270WSM, 300WSM and 338WM. I had the chance to work in Finland and found that they are really good at what they put their minds to, like ice hockey, sauna, fishing, hunting and Sako/Tikka firearms.
The rings that come with these models have been rock solid for me, I don't know if the T3X came with them. Other than that, I like Warne rings among the many good offerings.

I used to go with heavy setups thinking that equated to solid but have since experimented with lighter rings to see if something in that category would prove solid. The Warne Maxima rings will not allow the scope to move and returns to zero perfectly. I always use epoxy to bed the rail to the action and rings to the rail, assuring solid/immobile attachments, but that light ring setup has never failed me on a hunting rifle. The one thing you have to check is that the rail is not too narrow, making it impossible for the rings to sufficiently tighten onto the rail.

Most solid? I believe NEAR - Richard mills his parts from hardened steel.

There are a lot of good premium options out there, but NEAR are among the heaviest and most resistant to deformation - they use the toughest materials.

Unless you are mounting a 2lb scope to a 50BMG, you probably dont need the most solid mount in the world.

Near Mfg...very great guy to deal with and his products reflect that. I have the one piece 3 ring mount on my 338 Lapua. Very beautiful setup that I'd put up against a sphur any day of the week.

Seconding the recommendation on the Burris Signature rings with the ***-Align inserts. No marks on your scope and those rings really get a good 'grip' on the tube, which I like.

Last edited:
If money was no object, Spuhr. I use EGW rails and TPS rings. However, if you spend $100 on rings and $80 on a rail, your almost to the Spuhr hunter series.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.