Best Factory Action

Ruger M77 mk2. In any and all its sizes and models including the Hawkeye. . 2 nd, only because it is not available in stainless is the CZ 550 and 527 . Then the model 70 crf. .

The reason the 700 Rem is so popular is a mistery. With the military its easy to understand as they have armorers to build and fix them when they break down. .

Ruger M77 mk2. In any and all its sizes and models including the Hawkeye. . 2 nd, only because it is not available in stainless is the CZ 550 and 527 . Then the model 70 crf. .

The reason the 700 Rem is so popular is a mistery. With the military its easy to understand as they have armorers to build and fix them when they break down. .
I've had 700's for YEARS, and never had 1 single issue with any of them. And I've hunted them hard, ran them hard at the range, and put them up wet....And still never had an issue.

Oh, and I think you meant "mystery".

To date none of our Remingtons have broke down? It is popular because no other factory action, except Savage, can be built up and compete with a custom other than a Model 700. The military uses it because of this. When the Marines first adopted the Model 700 they had already had experience with Model 70s and Springfields, but what did they choose, a Remington. Same with the Army, they used Springfield 03s and M14s before going to the Remington. You seriously think they just chose it for the heck of it? Guys like you make me laugh and shake my head. You really think the best snipers in the world would carry a rifle that at any moment can break down? I don't think so, you keep buying your over priced Ruger and CZ crap and I will buy Remington.

I've had 700's for YEARS, and never had 1 single issue with any of them. And I've hunted them hard, ran them hard at the range, and put them up wet....And still never had an issue.

Oh, and I think you meant "mystery".

Thank you Mud! I don't know where all of these broke down junk Remingtons come from?

They still use M14's for specific missions and special purpose.

Ya I know, I'm saying as the set standard sniper rifle. The M14 is a heck of a sniper system though too. The latest XM25 version has the best scope mount found on any of the M14 sniper rifles and is a deadly weapon. My Dad has a Super National Match M1A with a Hart barrel, the XM25 mount, Nikon 6-18x40 scope, and a tuned trigger that will shoot lights out and under 1/2in groups! It is incredible.

I don't either...I just know I've not been so polite to mine and they've never given me a lick of problem.

I have never abused mine or anything because I treat all rifles nicely and don't use them as a tool, but so far 0 issues from any of our Remingtons. The only thing that has had issues with ours are groundhogs, deer, and coyotes and the occasional guy who believes his rifle is more capable than yours.

the absolute best factory action for being ready to assemble out of the box is a Savage by far. Comes in as close as most custom actions for straitness out of the box. Yet if I were going that route, I'd look at the Savage PTA action for starters as it has some inherent qualities that you'll never get out of the other factory type actions.
1. solid top with a right bolt left port configuration
2. three perpendicular screw action
3. very, very nice target grade trigger comes with it, and it will at least go down to six ounces of pull
4. most all prefit barrels fit it
5. the only lock time faster is a Remington 788
6. the PTA action is 3.2 time stiffer than the factory mod. 12 action, and much stiffer than a Remington 700

down side is that it only comes as a single shot bolt action like most custom actions. Price is a salty $500 out of the box (Northland). Want a repeater then look at the LRPV action, but it's not as good as the PTA
gary

the absolute best factory action for being ready to assemble out of the box is a Savage by far. Comes in as close as most custom actions for straitness out of the box. Yet if I were going that route, I'd look at the Savage PTA action for starters as it has some inherent qualities that you'll never get out of the other factory type actions.
1. solid top with a right bolt left port configuration
2. three perpendicular screw action
3. very, very nice target grade trigger comes with it, and it will at least go down to six ounces of pull
4. most all prefit barrels fit it
5. the only lock time faster is a Remington 788
6. the PTA action is 3.2 time stiffer than the factory mod. 12 action, and much stiffer than a Remington 700

down side is that it only comes as a single shot bolt action like most custom actions. Price is a salty $500 out of the box (Northland). Want a repeater then look at the LRPV action, but it's not as good as the PTA
gary

Haha if we are going to start throwing single shots into the bunch look at the 40x Remington action....

You might as well buy a surplus Mauser K-98 and stick a three position safety on it. Wola a Model 70 with different markings!:rolleyes:

Don't see how Remington is over-rated? Their track record backs them up. The Army and USMC snipe with a 700 action? What more do you need for proof of being the most accurate production action out there? Not many alternatives out there can beat the Remington. Savage is the next best thing when building a custom. I don't see why there is so much hate towards Remington. I will be honest and say I haven't had any bad luck with them. Even the newest ones. My Dad and I both bought a Model 700 Varmint rifle last summer, they shoot amazing, and my cousin recently bought a stainless ADL in .308 and it shoots and works awesome too. I will keep buying and using Remingtons.

currently the folks at Remington have the snipers rifle contract, but it's also not what the military really wanted. Been that way for at least fifty years, but when your well placed and have a huge lobby working for you, you know the results. Hathcock was known to say that he preferred the Winchester more than once. The current Savage snipers rifle is being used all over the world right now, and many tests have proven it to be the most accurate snipers rifle out there without dumping $10K into it.
gary

You might as well buy a surplus Mauser K-98 and stick a three position safety on it. Wola a Model 70 with different markings!:rolleyes:

Don't see how Remington is over-rated? Their track record backs them up. The Army and USMC snipe with a 700 action? What more do you need for proof of being the most accurate production action out there? Not many alternatives out there can beat the Remington. Savage is the next best thing when building a custom. I don't see why there is so much hate towards Remington. I will be honest and say I haven't had any bad luck with them. Even the newest ones. My Dad and I both bought a Model 700 Varmint rifle last summer, they shoot amazing, and my cousin recently bought a stainless ADL in .308 and it shoots and works awesome too. I will keep buying and using Remingtons.

Scoff at the mausers if you wish. I have a Mark X, that I built for less than a comparable Remington costs off the shelf, that will walk all over any Remington you've got.

If you think the military buys equipment because it is the best available, you are delusional. My hate toward Remington comes from my personal experience with them. My Remingtons were built nearly a decade apart and had EXACTLY the same problems. I own a Remington varmint rifle too. It is very accurate. The trouble is, it's not straight. It is impossible to boresight a scope on it without using crappy windage adjustable mounts. It is in the hands of a gunsmith right now having the problem corrected. I haven't had that problem with any other make of rifle in my safe. My Remington VS was a premium model. There is no excuse for that kind of shoddiness. I was a big Remington fan until I started to learn what I was actually looking at.

Remington charges premium prices for budget quality rifles. Winchester, CZ, and Savage all come from the factory with better barrels. Fit, finish, features, and overall quality of a Winchester or CZ is far and away better than an out of the box Remington at the same price point or lower. Have you ever actually looked at them side by side?

If you are happy with your Remingtons, there is nothing wrong with that. I am glad that you got good ones and that you are pleased with them. Insisting that they are the best made, however, is a stretch to put it mildly.

Haha if we are going to start throwing single shots into the bunch look at the 40x Remington action....

a 40x won't begin to shoot with an outta the box LRPV, let alone a PTA. So don't tell this kid that, as I've been there and done that. The 40x will have issues dealing with a Mod.12 varmint rifle if it has a good factory barrel, let alone the LRPV. The good thing about the 40x is the action. Similar to a 700, but also slightly different. Better bridge design, but how much that helps is still arguable. I like them. You can also get there with a 721 or a 722, if you can kind them. They're just crooked as a dog's hind leg, but so is the 700.
gary

Scoff at the mausers if you wish. I have a Mark X, that I built for less than a comparable Remington costs off the shelf, that will walk all over any Remington you've got.

If you think the military buys equipment because it is the best available, you are delusional. My hate toward Remington comes from my personal experience with them. My Remingtons were built nearly a decade apart and had EXACTLY the same problems. I own a Remington varmint rifle too. It is very accurate. The trouble is, it's not straight. It is impossible to boresight a scope on it without using crappy windage adjustable mounts. It is in the hands of a gunsmith right now having the problem corrected. I haven't had that problem with any other make of rifle in my safe. My Remington VS was a premium model. There is no excuse for that kind of shoddiness. I was a big Remington fan until I started to learn what I was actually looking at.

Remington charges premium prices for budget quality rifles. Winchester, CZ, and Savage all come from the factory with better barrels. Fit, finish, features, and overall quality of a Winchester or CZ is far and away better than an out of the box Remington at the same price point or lower. Have you ever actually looked at them side by side?

If you are happy with your Remingtons, there is nothing wrong with that. I am glad that you got good ones and that you are pleased with them. Insisting that they are the best made, however, is a stretch to put it mildly.

question!

How do you get a good one with out buying forty of them to cull out the bad ones?

you knew this was coming<g>!!
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.