Best Factory Action

Remington 700 seems to be the popular choice and there is a vast amount of aftermarket upgrades available. Also on the list should be Savage and Winchester model 70.

If you are going to give it the works you might want to consider a custom action. By the time you get the 700 blueprinted you could likely have got yourself a new Stiller.

Remington 700 for the simple fact that you never hear anyone say "I wish they made that stock, bottom metal, barrel, trigger, etc. for a 700."

As has been said a Savage action is the way to go if you want to do it yourself and even to make a switch barrel rifle. If I was just going to have a caliber specific rifle built and had PLENTY of money it would be a Rem 700. Either action will make a great shooter.

Remington 700...Best factory actions there are. Everyone knows it, but only some will admit it. :D Not to mention the massive aftermarket following.

One of the main reasons i don't like Savages is they all have short magazine lengths. And those accutriggers feel chintzy to me. But that's more of a personal preference.

Rem 700 if you want to customize it with aftermarket parts and to blueprint it to make it shoot as well as a custom.

Browning if you don't want to hassle with blueprinting it to make it shoot as well as a custom. gun)

Rem 700 if you want to customize it with aftermarket parts and to blueprint it to make it shoot as well as a custom.

Browning if you don't want to hassle with blueprinting it to make it shoot as well as a custom. gun)
My only qualms with Brownings (and I have had 2 A-Bolt II's, still got 1 of them) is that when the throats in their barrels start to go, it goes downhill QUICK. Atleast, mine did. Gotta go pick it up from the smith either today or tomorrow from getting rebarreled.

Remington 700...Best factory actions there are. Everyone knows it, but only some will admit it. :D Not to mention the massive aftermarket following.

One of the main reasons i don't like Savages is they all have short magazine lengths. And those accutriggers feel chintzy to me. But that's more of a personal preference.

+1 Mud! gun)

My only qualms with Brownings (and I have had 2 A-Bolt II's, still got 1 of them) is that when the throats in their barrels start to go, it goes downhill QUICK. Atleast, mine did. Gotta go pick it up from the smith either today or tomorrow from getting rebarreled.

I was just talking about the action itself.

That's interesting about their barrels tho.

I've had my fill of shoddy QC from Big Green. Over priced for what you are getting and over rated, especially given the alternatives that are out there. I can see why gunsmiths and machinists like them. Job security is a nice feature.

If I were planning to build something chambered for a standard cartridge or one of the 30-06 length magnums, I would go with a current production (FN made) Winchester Model 70. I don't think anyone is making a better action right now. I really like the 3 position safety and the action is the smoothest I have seen on a production rifle.

If the plan is to go big, I would build on a CZ 550 Magnum action. It is beefy enough to handle the larger case heads of the Lapua class magnums and up and has the mag length to feed the big stuff loaded long. No aftermarket mag box needed. You get a very nice factory trigger in the bargain, too.

I've had my fill of shoddy QC from Big Green. Over priced for what you are getting and over rated, especially given the alternatives that are out there. I can see why gunsmiths and machinists like them. Job security is a nice feature.

If I were planning to build something chambered for a standard cartridge or one of the 30-06 length magnums, I would go with a current production (FN made) Winchester Model 70. I don't think anyone is making a better action right now. I really like the 3 position safety and the action is the smoothest I have seen on a production rifle.

If the plan is to go big, I would build on a CZ 550 Magnum action. It is beefy enough to handle the larger case heads of the Lapua class magnums and up and has the mag length to feed the big stuff loaded long. No aftermarket mag box needed. You get a very nice factory trigger in the bargain, too.
I don't expect much out of ANY factory rifle. Regardless of the brand name stamped on it.

That's why I only buy cheap used/new 700's for good prices, then buy a cheap barrel, a cheap B&C Medalist stock, and have my smith do his magic. That way I KNOW it's a shooter for under $1000, but I will have a fully worked-over and accurized rifle.

You might as well buy a surplus Mauser K-98 and stick a three position safety on it. Wola a Model 70 with different markings!:rolleyes:

Don't see how Remington is over-rated? Their track record backs them up. The Army and USMC snipe with a 700 action? What more do you need for proof of being the most accurate production action out there? Not many alternatives out there can beat the Remington. Savage is the next best thing when building a custom. I don't see why there is so much hate towards Remington. I will be honest and say I haven't had any bad luck with them. Even the newest ones. My Dad and I both bought a Model 700 Varmint rifle last summer, they shoot amazing, and my cousin recently bought a stainless ADL in .308 and it shoots and works awesome too. I will keep buying and using Remingtons.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts