Best Deer Caliber out to 1K

Well, Boyd... I don't see the word Elk anywhere but if you say so...the month of November is more consistent with Mule Deer than Elk..

I see your point but.. that gun only gets heavy if you have a small horse... AS I said the caliber is the main point. C.M. can build "hunting style" rifles too... Not puching anything.. as I can recall numerous situations from numerous people who post their rifles every chance they get too.. but now those people ar ein competitions and things have become very secretive...
no worries I am not offened take way more than that to offened me. But I see now that there are eyes everywhere and "shots" will be taken at every opportunity.. maybe I brought that on by my "monster thread" about BR, BS or Ego.. so I'll ride the storm. No big deal..

As far as the video thing. Sure that would work... 338-378 is supposed to e-mail me or call for C.M.'s number... havn't heard from him yet... And I'm hoping to be in one of those video's with C.M.'s rifles.. just waiting to hear from 338-378 on that too.. I have all 10 applications sitting here ready to go!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>At $3000.00 to $3500.00?????
I don't think you would sell very many at that price.
Even $2500.00 would be way out of line with a Remington action.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
With out getting in to a ANOTHER ****ing match .. full blownn tactical have a bit more then standard "stuff" on them...but they can be had for much less as well...

Bill,

let me rephrase my original reply as to keep things in line ( read P.C.) to avoid the aggrivation and edge that seems to be present...

OK here we go...

Bill welcome to the board! I live and hunt in the west ( wyoming ) and I have actually had the oppotunity to experiment with many calibers. You don't specify which animal you are actually hunting so I will assume Elk or Mule deer...
The 300 WSM can be a very versitle caliber and very capable of Mule Deer beyond 800 yards and Elk to 500 yards with the right bullets.
Several manufactures carry this caliber and Winchester has the greatest selection of rifle styles. There are also some very talented custom gunsmiths that frequent this board and I am sure they would be able to build you anything you desire....
Depending on what your hunting and who you're hunting with feel free to contact me as there are some do's and don'ts when hunting out this way and I have been know to give out some "secrets too"
good luck...

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: *WyoWhisper* ]

Ric

What does "your" rifle (that you posted at least 2X) have on it that any other Tactical rifle don't have besides "not having" a custom action to begin with?

Can you break down the costs of the different items on the rifle and also the instalation fees?

Start with a Remington action which you can buy most anywhere for about $300.00 to $350.00. You can buy the whole rifle and then sell the stock and take-off barrel to recoup some funds. Now you would probably have $250.00 to $275.00 in that Remington action.

Maybe we can compare costs of different gunsmiths?

I can't tell from the picture but, do you have a muzzle brake on that rifle? If not, that would be an additional fee that many would want in a light, higher recoil rifle.

Here are the items most are looking for in their custom rifles.

Jewell triggers would be a must (for me), top custom barrels (many to choose from) are needed, Mcmillen tactical or similar stocks, pillar bedded and fitted, wide recoil lugs, truing the actions and installing a heavier firing pin spring and bolt extension (if using a factory Remington action), muzzle brake, chamber job and bluing of the barrel if not kept as a full stainless.

I didn't mention any scopes or bases because there are so many choices here.

Maybe we can compare prices of work done?

Now if someone "adds" a high dollar scope and rings and a top of the line "custom action" to the total cost, you can be into the $3000.00 to $3500.00 price range. Not with a Remington action though.
You wouldn't have or "shouldn't have", but around $2000.00 for just the completed rifle work using a Remington action.

Was just curious as to pricing here?

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Butch

You have such a good way with words.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Nice seeing you and Boyd last week. Come up anytime you wish.

I didn't put the 32X wide eyepieces in the 82 MM glasses the other day when you guys were looking through them. They (32X) are impressive to.

Later
DC
smile.gif

Yo Butch!! Wassup??

Yup I talked to Steve we talk about everyday.. he said your gonna e-mail but ...

I never got your e-mails .. I'l send you one to this addy...
[email protected] sound good???

You just make the decision for the "green light" and I'll show you a group that sucks..
shocked.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

DC,

not sure where you got $3000 or $3500 for my rifle??
The basic Tacticals go for $2100 to $2800 depending on options...

here's a BASIC list and prices may vary...

Rings 145
bases 135
Bottom metal 290
Barrel 350
break 125
stock 425
teflon finish 250
fluting 110
bolt knob 95
jewel 245
recoil lug 25

now again this is ballpark and rounded numbers. You're at about 1200.... plus you have to inlet and bed the action bearrel etc... plus the gunsmiths fees....

I didn't include scope price ....

what is so outrageous about that???

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Well, Boyd... I don't see the word Elk anywhere <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Glad you caught that Ric, <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>C.M. can build "hunting style" rifles too... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good,The pic you posted tho is not a "hunting style rifle.Do you have any pictures of one of them things???

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>The 300 WSM can be a very versitle caliber and very capable of Mule Deer beyond 800 yards and Elk to 500 yards with the right bullets <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Ric,Just wondering,with the deer,elk and MuleDeer you've shot over 500 yards what case have you used????....300wsm,308win?????

Boy, you guys don't quit, do you???
I'm also wondering where the $3500 figure came from....
I have several tactical style rifles and I don't have that in any of them WITH the NXS scopes, and Badger bases and rings. If you figure that an NXS, and Badger metal will run +/- $1400, then that puts the finished rifle's cost in the $1800 range.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>
Rings 145
bases 135
Bottom metal 290
Barrel 350
break 125
stock 425
teflon finish 250
fluting 110
bolt knob 95
jewel 245
recoil lug 25
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That stuff there is $2100 + so CM is giving us a hell of a deal on his work, considering a finished rifle minus the scope is running in the $2100 range. When you break it down, that price tag doesn't seem so high...
BTW, my .300 Tommy was built by YOUR smith, Darryl(Ray Romain) and JUST the barrel, brake,dies, and gunsmith work was OVER $1000... If you add the Action, Jewell trigger, Stock, etc., you'll see that your guy actuall charges MORE than CM...Remember guys, it doesn't count if your buddy does the work and doesn't charge you.. You have to figure what he WOULD have charged if you were a stranger...

I'm not one to get into a ****ing contest but I think that the term "hunting rifle" covers a huge area , I know a few guys that have full out bench guns , polished steel and hot pink stocks and all and they call them "hunting rifles".

Now to realy kick a bees nest

I have a rig that is less than $900 total scope and all that would take deer cleanly out to 1K , yea its a Savage !! and wears a B&L scope to boot!
Do you need a $3000 rig to shoot 1K , hell no , the chances of getting one of doing it consistantly are a hell of alot better if you pay for all the good stuff but it can be done for less.

Personaly I feel that as long as you can get a rig that shoots at least 3/4moa and has the energy , you can kill at 1000yds.
Hell I've got a soda straw barreled 1961 Weatherby Mark V in 300Wby that shoots near 1/2MOA with factroy weatherby ammo , I'm sure if you replaced the old Balvar scope with some bigger better glass that it'll kill easly at 1K , for at least 2 shots and the barrel gets hot.

What it all boils down to is the man asked a simple question about calibers
"best deer caliber out to 1K" , not what rifle , what smith to build it but what caliber..
So why all the mines better than yours and you payed to much BS?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I have antedote avaialable...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>This I would love to hear.... <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Is this a serious question or are you headed somewhere with this..? In light of the recent postings.. I wonder? If it is an honest question the answer is the same from me.. and I'll answer honestly..

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You already gave me my answer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I have a rig that is less than $900 total scope and all that would take deer cleanly out to 1K , yea its a Savage !! and wears a B&L scope to boot!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you.....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.