1st time out w/my Burris Eliminator III to 1K

NZ,
Besides not having a level, the only thing I don't like about it is the location of the activation buttons.
I have to break my shooting foundation to reach forward to activate it.
I would like to see one activation button on top of the scope right in front of the power selector. It would be ambi and people with shorter arms could reach it easily.
Another optional an option would to have a plug that came out of the side where you could plug in a velcroed pressure switch and then on could put it exactly where they wanted to:D

Ernie,
The rifle it arrived on for review, a Tikka T3 Stainless laminate 7mm Mag, has quite a bit of muzzle jump with the 162gn A-Max doing 3100fps. The stock has too much drop and I haven't fitted a muzzle brake as its not my rifle. So I have my left hand up the front anyway or I get significant vertical, and its easy to just lift my thumb a bit and hit the button. And I am 6'4" so arm reach isn't a problem for me!
I like the idea of a plug and a little thin cable remote you could plug in when you're ready and operate from where suits you best. I'll suggest it in my review! And yes, they could easily have included some level lights, or a bubble or something with everything else they've got going on in there.

The biggest issue with these is getting them setup right for your load. They are going to appeal to people who know little about long range, because once set up you won't need to. But they are only as accurate as the drop data put into them. As few people will actually calibrate them at the 750 yards required for the setup, it will be a guess by some nitwit behind a counter in a shop reading off the back of a factory ammo packet.
I predict they'll sell well, but there'll be plenty of complaints about them not being accurate for exactly this reason!
Greg

Greg,
Understood.
Just this past Friday afternoon there was a guy in town who has been extremely busy and asked if he could get his scope zeroed for a hunt.
This was on a lightweight 30 cal Mag rifle with a Tupperware stock and incredibly heavy trigger pull-0ver 12 pounds. No muzzle brake.
To be good on the trigger I did take a beating :)
Said all of that to say this, it had one of the Gen II Eliminator's on it, and I didn't have time to chrono it.
Zeroed at 100, programmed the scope and made hits at 400 and 500 yards after putting the drop in inches down from the factory ammo.
Now, I am NOT encouraging this, but it was close enough to put me on 10" steel.
You know the only way I recommend to others is to actually shoot and confirm your drops, but it worked good enough in the pinch.
Burris IMO has done everything possible from their end to let folks know the way it should be done.

I have a couple questions for both of you......

1. What is the eye box like? Is it forgiving at higher power or could it be blackeye experience and

2. What is the maximum range capability before beam divergence renders the unit inaccurate?......

3. What does it weigh and how battery intensive is it? Finally

4. I thought the original Eliminator had a proprietary mount. Is the new one the same and if it is, what are the mount parameters?

Always having a manual scope but having an option (in a pinch) could be a good thing. I could see this on one of my 308's.

I'm comfortable with the eye box, but Burris tends to have less eye relief than say Leupold or NF.
Maximum range of the laser will always be (regardless of brand) dependent upon atmospheric conditions. The ballistic maximum in the software is 1200 yards.
So far, we have only shot to a grand.
Spec sheet from Burris: Scopes - rifle scopes, handgun scopes, hunting scopes by Burris Optics
I can't tell the difference between my original eliminator and the gen 3. It will work with an picatinny or weaver type base.
Let's say your battery or the electronics go belly up. Keep it on 16x and you have a MIL scope, that you can reticle range with or shot distance with if you were savy enough to have a drop chart in MIL.
The Eliminator III has a Mil-Reticle. the wind dots are MIL too.

At our annual Church Steel Shoot I had a college girl use my 6.5x47L with the E-3 and she took 3rd place out of 17 shooters with it, and then a couple of days later before we picked up the steel, the guys played around at 775 yards. A high school student (Colter) was using the 6.5 with the E-3.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPd3bBNGbTw]3 guns @ 775 yards - YouTube[/ame]

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.