Best Deer Caliber out to 1K

Ric

The "WHOLE" price is what I'm talking about.
That includes "gunsmith" fees to, not just the parts and pieces. Most times the Gunsmith fees are higher then the parts and pieces put on the rifle.

Chambering, fitting to stock, action truing, bolt extension, Sako extractor (if used), muzzle brakes and installation and so on. Include all cost to have the gunsmith hand you the finished rifle.

Some gunsmiths are outragious concerning cost and they do "vary" a lot.

Now with smith fees attached, the price will probably be the $3000.00 to $3500.00 I mentioned earlier?

I "know" what the cost of the pieces and parts are.

For the cost of $2500.00 to $3000.00 ($3500.00 with scope) for a rifle with a Remington action is (to me) just way out of line for a hunting style rifle used for medium longrange hunting when a Factory Larado, Sendaro, Coyote or 40X will do the same thing.

I don't care if a fellow spends $20,000.00 for a rifle if thats what makes him happy.
I'm only saying what Boyd and others have said here, a factory rifle will/can do the same thing at the ranges you mentiomned you hunt at. I believe you mentioned 700 to 800 yards for deer or elk?

Later
DC
smile.gif

PS--You forgot to list the cost of the action in your list, unless I missed it?

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>For the cost of $2500.00 to $3000.00 ($3500.00 with scope) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And I thought the $1300.00 give a take a few hundered(THE WAY IT SITS ON THE BENCH)was alot of money to spend on my last BR gun...And that includes a sendero stock inletted and bedded for the barreled action

[ 03-07-2004: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Boyd,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Ric,Just wondering,with the deer,elk and MuleDeer you've shot over 500 yards what case have you used????....300wsm,308win????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this a serious question or are you headed somewhere with this..? In light of the recent postings.. I wonder? If it is an honest question the answer is the same from me.. and I'll answer honestly..

DC,

I forgot the action so add 350 +/- so you're at 1550ish.

The cost of that rifle and specs listed, out the door is about 2100-2800 scope not included...
Yes there are semi-factory/custom, or factory guns that can and will perform.. the original poster never specified what he wanted...

I can see the I've disturbed a hornets nest.. thats ok though.. I have antedote avaialable...

depending on what you are going to shoot out in montana i would shoot a 25-06. it is very flat shooting and still has a lot of knock down power.null

nothing wrong with a 30-06
smile.gif
It's killed more stuff than anything i'd guess. Accurate maybe a little less than 308. But more power than 308.

Or 300 win mag in sendero would be my choice
smile.gif

I live in Montana, and on the east side of the divide there can be some strong winds, so you may want heavy for caliber bullets with a high BC. I would say a good .308 cal would be fine for deer at long range. You wouldn't need to shoot anything at 1K, if you didn't want to. There are alot of deer out here and you can usually get ALOT closer. I use a long barreled 300 WBY now, and it will reach way out and buck wind well, but I used a 270 win for years and killed allot of deer with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.