Yalls opinion on best deer caliber/long range....

Dust270WSM

Looking at building up a rifle. Either going to shoot 130 or 140 grainer bullets. Which caliber would yall go with??
280 AI....6.5 X 284....6.5 X 47....6.5 Creedmor...or something else...trying to get the best accurate rifle for my money that will give a whitetail a dirt nap!!! Like the speed of the heavier ones but like to light kick of he lighter ones. What's yall use??

Also this will have a 22" barrel. Want a rifle that swings easy and carries easy

.280 AI using Berger 168 VLD's would be exellent for a double-duty rifle. 26" 1:9 barrel.

140gr bullets would not be ideal for any 7mm shooting long range.

Of the ones you listed. I'd go 280 or 6.5-284. If I was going to add one I'd say 7mm rem mag and throw on a brake if the kick bothers you

Both of my A-Bolt II 7mm RemMags had BOSS systems on them, and with 168gr Bergers leaving the muzzle well over 3K, they kicked like a .243.

I am going to say 6.5x47. It all depends how far you want to shoot. But a 22" barrel and light recoil, I think this is the caliber to go with. I won't have mine till February but only heard good things about the 6.5x47.

6.5 creedmore would get my vote if your using 22 inch barrel. If you go 24-26 in barrel I would go with 280 or 6.5 -284

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.