Best 500 yard deer/elk non magnum caliber?

Well killerspoons, you've got a lot of answers to choose from. Now if you want the right one, the .50BMG is hands down the best 500 yard any-critter caliber. What you really want to find out though is which one of these you can and will want to shoot accurately and comfortably at those ranges. Over-gunned is always the norm in our sport. The end results are what we want to consider before jumping over the edge. Research the offered calibers and go with what will work for you and enjoy your shooting. Keep your powder dry. gun)

"Magnum" is a term more useful for marketing than for realistically describing a cartridge and its performance. Sometimes it applies to cartridges that are more powerful than previous ones. For instance, ...

* .22 Long Rifle was lengthened and thus became .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire
* 38 S&W Special was lengthened and thus became the 357 S&W Magnum (.357"
is the actual caliber of the 38 Special),
* and the 44 S&W Special was lengthened and thus became the 44 Remington
Magnum, etc ...

If recoil is a concern, install an effective muzzle brake (some factory rifles comes with muzzle brake on them already). Muzzle brakes not only reduces recoil but also allows you to see your target impact and easier target re-acquisition. In the Big Sky Country, my preference is .300 Win Mag with .180gr and heavier. Both my .300 Win Mags have muzzle brakes and the felt recoil is similar to .243's.

In short, use the rifle/caliber, bullet and powder combination, etc ... that best serves your purpose. Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting.

Last edited:
It's really hard to talk about a chambering and it's effectiveness without talking about a bullet to go with it.
The 270 Win with a 165gr Matrix bullet would be my choice, having seen what it will do with elk in the ranges your talking and having taken elk at that range with a 30-06 the 270 with that bullet is more effective but you need to be at an elevation to stabilize it in a 1-10 twist factory barrel. Next would be a 280 with a 168 Berger.
I would choose your bullet first then the chambering to get it to the performance level at the range you need.

+1 for 338-06,
great cal. easy to shoot, easy to load for if you want , and ER Shaw still mfg's in this cal. And you can find used Weatherby's fairly easy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.