Berger load help or possible alternative?

Every stock with the aluminum bedding rail I have ever owned, or worked on, was enhanced from from epoxy bedding the action area. Especially the front barrel lug area. The aluminum bedding rail in the stock does eliminate the need for pillars, but that is about it. They are mass produce to generally fit an action and the fit is loose. The illusion of it being a " bedded rifle" is a sales gimic in my opinion. The rifle can still move for and aft in the stock. As it does this, and as things heat up and grow, that pressure point could be and probably is deflection your barrel and point of impact.

Jeff

Given the fact that you're at "Crunch Time" with load development. I'd start also looking at what shoots right now for this particular rifle. there is nothing wrong With Nosler Accubonds or Balistic tips, Hornady Interbonds or SSTs, etc.... The only diffrence really is the drops and wind deflection. Once you know where the bullets are going, building drop charts are fairly straight forward, Only problem is that adjustments are going to be greater due to the decreased BC...This isn't much of a problem though.

I'd still play with the Bergers down the road, but since you are so close to your hunt and range time is difficult for you, look to what works so you can go hunting...

Just get the rifle free floated and bed that recoil lug, (it is necessary).

Dan

I haven't dealt with the Accustock a whole lot but in reading there is some accuracy issues that need to be checked. Free floating of barrel and tang, make sure the recoil lug is not bottomed out and there should be a torque sequence in the manual. Some seem to benefit form the torque sequence greatly. Not hard items to check and change if needed, then change to another bullet that it is liking and come back to it when time permits. I give them a few dollar bills for floating since the stock is so flexible, if your just getting one bill through it can touch at times.

How to I float the recoil plug?? Please help. Is it as easy as sanding down the stock to ensure it free floats

Do not float the recoil lug, the recoil lug should be bedded so it fits into your stock like a custom glove on your hand. You want the lug touching the stock. Read Broz post again

I totally agree with everyone about bedding the action. Look on you tube at some of the videos on how to do it. In one night it can be done with ease because I've done it to all my rifles. Use devcon plastic steel putty #10110 and DO NOT FLOAT THE RECOIL LUG. This helps the rifle more then you can imagine. I also shoot bergers and I will hit spot on past 700 . A hard pull trigger will also hurt you badly at long range to if you happened to overlook that.

I got news for you....don't waist your time shooting those loads at 300. I don't care weather or not you believe in the "bullet going to sleep" deal or not.....no load producing 1.5" groups is going to get anymore than a tenth or two moa better.... at distance.

Ok guys thanks for all the advice. I'm going to ensure the barrel is floated. Also I may look at bedding the action. Idk if I'm up for that ill check out youtube. Also I bought some new powder. I got h4831. Also my buddy gave me some 180 gr nosler accubonds I am going to load with the 4831. So I will load some bergers with the 4831 and accubonds and see what happens.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.