Berger 375 possible?

Is it possible to spec a barrel to a bullet? Lets say I wanted to build a 375 something and knew I wanted to shoot one of the CEB offerings like the 352. Knowing the bullets are a little picky about bore diameter can you tell your barrel maker to hit a size you like? Is there a known good size or is it a total crap shoot?

I'm guessing it's easier for the bullet maker to adjust the diameter of the bullet than for the barrel maker to adjust the size of his barrel making tooling. CE will and does make custom bullets.

IMO, the only LR 375 chamber worth making would be a CheyTac variant or equivalent. If i was going to have one built it would be very much like this one with a 32" 12"- 7 1/2" gain twist barrel to shoot the 375 CEB 425's

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f116/2065-yards-425-ceb-414-gsc-120603/

If Berger came out with a .375 calibre bullet, I would buy them by the thousand.

But they don't. So I have used the SMK and it is like a FMJ its that hard.

I have used the CEB MTH L10 350gn and it is super accurate but I have not yet had a chance to try it on game. That's next!

The Rocky Mountain Bullet in 375 grain or 350 grain are great on game out of my
.375 Cheytac. Very soft bullet that makes a big hole in animals.
The only thing with them is that I have had a few with loose tips and this may have caused some of the unexplained fliers that I have experienced with these bullets.

I have made mods to the SMK and this may be ok. Both adding tips to them and also turning the hollow points out larger is an option with them.

Here are some tipped prototypes based on the 350gn SMK.

tipped1.jpg

Here are some tipped prototypes based on the 350gn SMK.

Topshot,

I'm interested in your experience with your "retyping" experience.

I started mine with Nosler 277 offerings but came up with a lifetime supply of Wildcat 169.5s for the 270 AM which put a damper on tipping efforts in that cal.

In the 375 AM I'm limited to SMKs and about to experiment with CEBs. However, it may be that with my previous experience I could reenergize myself in the quest for 375 modifications that may well get me where I'd like to be.

I make my own brass tips which increased bullet weight by 10 grains in 277 cal but I was removing only the poly tip of the nosler bullets using the remaining hole for the tip shank. Worked pretty good but . . . production through put was pretty sorry.

bc increased from 0.495 to 0.658 or so. Pretty significant and I learned that terminal performance could be controlled by the shape of the tip base.

In media I was able to duplicate Ballistic Tip and Accubond performance. Plus with a little tweak could make the Ballistic super ballistic.

If you would like to share experiences/ideas PM me or post here.

Winter is going by rapidly at this point but will slow way down after the end of this year.

It would be pointless and a waste of time and $ for Berger to develop a 300 gr vld type bullet, we do not need another bullet for the 375 H&H and similar, the minimum weight should be 350 gr , better still 375 to 400 gr .. all the really good 375's from the RUM on up will benefit !!

developing a 300 gr bullet will not make the 375 H&H or 375 Ruger long range cartridges, and won't help the ones that have the potential ...

It would be pointless and a waste of time and $ for Berger to develop a 300 gr vld type bullet, we do not need another bullet for the 375 H&H and similar, the minimum weight should be 350 gr , better still 375 to 400 gr .. all the really good 375's from the RUM on up will benefit !!

developing a 300 gr bullet will not make the 375 H&H or 375 Ruger long range cartridges, and won't help the ones that have the potential ...

The H&H and Ruger cartridges have enough case capacity to drive a 300g bullet at velocities very near those produced by factory loaded 338 Lapua 300g ammunition. Cutting Edge makes 300 to 320g .375 bullets with bc's that are in the same range as the .338 match bullets that gave the Lapua its long range reputation. Similar weight+similar velocity+similar bc = SIMILAR LONG RANGE PERFORMANCE. The smaller cased .375's are capable of performance similar to the RUM and Lapua class .338's with the right bullets. The problem is that there are very few options when it comes to low drag .375 bullets.

Moreover, by far the majority of .375 caliber rifles in existence are chambered for the smaller cased .375's. Making only, or primarily, bullets suitable only for the larger cased .375's means that the product is being made for a very small market. THAT is a pointless waste of time and money.

Making a product useful to more shooters, in more rifles, that will dramatically improve the performance of what they have, is a worthwhile move that will result in a win for EVERYBODY shooting a .375 chambering. The more choices we ALL have, the better it will be for ALL of us.

Rocky Mountain Bullets now makes a .375" bullet in 325-425 grains. Like TopShot stated, though, you will occasionally find a loose tip and they do cost a pretty penny but other than that, they should be great.

Has anyone heard of any movement on this bullet?

Not only no.... but....hell no!

However, I've got some Cutting Edge 377s and can say nothing but good about them.

Got them to "try" and wow was it worth the rise.

I'll be switching to the 375s which open up a bit better than the solids.....:)

Pricey.....yes.......worth it.....you bet.....

Not yet field confirmed but the published 0.950 bc is better than the nearly 0.80 of the SMK....

Don't look now guys but Brian Litz is using a 375 Berger bullet in the King of 2 miles competition. I wish Brian luck and hope we get a peek at the Bergers "possible" new arrival!!!

If any of the Berger tech guys can comment on this secret bullet I'd love to hear any information.

Don't look now guys but Brian Litz is using a 375 Berger bullet in the King of 2 miles competition. I wish Brian luck and hope we get a peek at the Bergers "possible" new arrival!!!

If any of the Berger tech guys can comment on this secret bullet I'd love to hear any information.

Glad to hear from you DoubleZ! Thanks for the heads up! That is AWESOME news! I have wanted to build something like a 375-416 Rigby, but have kept the idea shelved until there are good enough bullets in existence to justify the project. It is good to know that there is a prototype in existence.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.