Help with 180 Berger Hybrid Load

Any idea which one is less temperature sensitive? What kind of velocity are you getting from the powders? Thanks for all the responses!

I run my H1000 180 load at 2985 fps and my Retumbo load at 3025. Both loads share the same point of impact and I run the powder I have the most of, which is Retumbo right now. Both are reliable in all of the temps I've tried them in. I've never done a formal test. My pre-hunt zero check test range is 523 yards shooting across a canyon at a 10" gong and the rifle is absolutely automatic using the velocities above.

To answer your question, I shot my 300wm yesterday the temps were in the low to mid 30's. The last time I shot it was in late Aug. temps in 90's. I hung some 10" steel drove down the lane and stopped to shoot got set-up, when I took a range reading I was only at 644 yds. Put in all my dope, took 5 shots drove down to look at group, it measured just under 3" center to center. Good enough for me 230 gr. bergers and H1000.

Grouping like that at that distance, I wouldn't think there could have been a lot of difference in the velocity. Very good to know. Thank you! Nice shooting toogun):).

To answer your question, I shot my 300wm yesterday the temps were in the low to mid 30's. The last time I shot it was in late Aug. temps in 90's. I hung some 10" steel drove down the lane and stopped to shoot got set-up, when I took a range reading I was only at 644 yds. Put in all my dope, took 5 shots drove down to look at group, it measured just under 3" center to center. Good enough for me 230 gr. bergers and H1000.

Which 230s? Target or OTM?

I like the 168 berger .015 off the lands with 64.7 grains of h4831 I get 2855fps at 32 deg and 2880 at 70 deg on average out of a 26in barrel. most loads I tested had a low S.D. My Sendero does not like the 180 berger at all but I think it's due to my 1-9.25 twist. I got better velocity out of Retumbo but I was getting S.D around 50fps. Another option you may want to concider is the Hornady 162 SST. They are not quite an Amax but the load the same as your used to. You will give up some B.C I think the Amax is .625 and the SST is .550 In my area they are easy to find and at much lower cost than Berger.

I like the 168 berger .015 off the lands with 64.7 grains of h4831 I get 2855fps at 32 deg and 2880 at 70 deg on average out of a 26in barrel. most loads I tested had a low S.D. My Sendero does not like the 180 berger at all but I think it's due to my 1-9.25 twist. I got better velocity out of Retumbo but I was getting S.D around 50fps. Another option you may want to concider is the Hornady 162 SST. They are not quite an Amax but the load the same as your used to. You will give up some B.C I think the Amax is .625 and the SST is .550 In my area they are easy to find and at much lower cost than Berger.

Thank you for all of that very useful information. The SD part is very helpful as well. I'm a little scared about the 180s now. I have a 27" Shilen Match Grade Select barrel that should be a "true" 1/9, but I should have checked before I got purchase crazy. I just bought 400 180 Hybrids off of a forum member, so I'm hoping I can make them shoot. I was also able to get my hands on 3lbs of H1000 (I've heard good things), 1,000 WLRM Primers (they were what I was using), and 200 rounds of Norma brass (what I was using). I had considered the SST, but decided against it due to the lower BC unless all other options failed. Also, this could be good news, but my reloading buddy told me that on Midway you can now backorder the 162 Amax. I'm not real sure what's up with that, considering Hornady told me they would not be available in 2014lightbulb. Hopefully I can either make these shoot or they start making the Amax again or I'll be doing load development all over for the third time with the 168 Berger.

I wouldn't worry about the AMax or SST bullets...They're both too fragile for inside of 500 yards with 7mm RM velocities.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.