Berger Brass Question???

haha. Yeah, they leave it because they don't reload and too lazy to police it up and either give it to someone or throw it away.
yep, I have a friend who volunteers at a commercial range run by MWR and he collects once-fired brass for me in several calibers. I separate, inspect, trim, size and sort it, and then reload it. I've been able to compare several manufacturers this way, in several rifle calibers. Believe it or not, the best brass so far has been Nosler, Remington and Hornaday in .308 and 30-06. In 300 WinMag, Sig, Nosler and Remington take top honors. They produce the most accurate loads, are the most durable and last the longest. I currently have several 5qt containers of 30-06 and .308 brass, sized, trimmed and primed. I don't have a 270 Winchester, but the 270 brass makes great 25-06 brass by just running it through an RCBS sizing die and trimming it to length. My Ruger No1 Varmint likes any of this brass, regardless of the brand, but again, the same brands listed above give best accuracy and consistent velocities. I get a lot of new brass from range sweepings. By the way, I don't mind Winchester brass or Federal brass at all. But Winchester will crack at the neck after three or four reloads, and Federal is a little soft, so near-maximum loads will sometimes spread the primer pockets on this brass. I still load and shoot them, because the brass is free. Oh, and I'm cheap, cheap, cheap.

Other than the obvious reason of your post...that they leave it because it's junk...I'm missing any real usefulNess in it.

I guess GunWerks brass (Lupua) is junk too?

There are two guys who hit the range I shoot at that shoot their rifle with their loaded ammo. I scoop up all the their brass every time I see them. 6.5x284 brass is tough to come by at the range I shoot at.

There is also a guy who leaves his 7mm LRM brass. I been picking it up too.

"One man's coal is another man's diamond!"
I agree. Most of my brass is acquired from one or another public or members only range. It is generally left by someone who doesn't reload and isn't planning on doing so in the future. Most of this brass is just fine, and basically new. Some has to be discarded, due to its having been fired in a semi-auto rifle and normal resizing doesn't work with it. But these casings are few and far between. However, most of these casings are salvageable if I resize them twice, and then check them by chambering them in the appropriate rifle. If they chamber with a slight crush fit, they are perfect. I should mention, I have several rifles in the calibers I reload for, and check the brass for fit in the rifle with the tightest chamber. That way my loads will function in all my rifles for that particular cartridge. I especially like finding Lake City brass or IMI brass at these ranges, as they work well in my M1 Garand.

E5DF07C9-8160-4BF2-B097-BB5E07533444.jpeg
CA2CB2F2-B6C1-488E-85D4-D6020CDF7869.jpeg
BD76CC92-F3ED-447E-89CC-F1E11C6F85BF.jpeg

haha. Yeah, they leave it because they don't reload and too lazy to police it up and either give it to someone or throw it away.

salvaged brass is good for paper punch plinking. A serious shooter BR or hunter would never gamble an expensive hunt or match on an unknown.

Other than the obvious reason of your post...that they leave it because it's junk...I'm missing any real usefulNess in it.

I guess GunWerks brass (Lupua) is junk too?

There are two guys who hit the range I shoot at that shoot their rifle with their loaded ammo. I scoop up all the their brass every time I see them. 6.5x284 brass is tough to come by at the range I shoot at.

There is also a guy who leaves his 7mm LRM brass. I been picking it up too.

"One man's coal is another man's diamond!"
Why would you risk missing a 6x7 bull elk or a competition with unknown brass? Paper plinkers yes but even that puts an unknown variable into a process we try to take all variables out of for accuracy. Shooting is a stochastic endeavour so adding a random variable does not help. I can send you my rejects if you wish.

It's all done now. Prime started producing Ammo with Peterson brass and it is being manufactured here. As soon as they put it out RUAG was on the phone with them with an offer to settle and stay in business with them.
Did RUAG and Prime come to any kind of agreement? I hope not. I have a local RUAG ammo dealer that told me he couldn't get 6.5 Creedmoor because of their contract with Prime. It would be great to get the same ammo locally and not have to pay a hazmat fee for loaded ammo. Loaded ammo is classified by DOT as an ORMD consumer commodity and not hazmat.

Yes they settled. I have ordered thousands of rounds from Prime in the past and never payed a hazmat fee and their shipping was real reasonable. Where do you live that you pay hazmat for loaded ammo?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.