berger load question

shooterpunk2

Hey guys, I just got some load info from Berger for my .308. I compared the load info to Hodgdons and its very different. For Berger's 168 gr VLD it has a max charge of 42.5, but in Hodgdon's it has a max of 46 grains for a 168 Sierra HPBT. I realize these are different bullets, but it doesnt seem like max charges should be that different. What do yo guys think?

Remember that not only are the bullets different but the rifle/barrel they tested them in are different. The primer, brass and lot of powder they used was probably different as well. Either of those loads may be too much for your rifle so work up to them.

I've had Walt email me load data for several calibers. In each one I was able to get more powder than what they listed.

Load data is a guide. You have to add powder for YOUR rifle until you find out what max is in YOUR rifle.

Example: in my 7 rem mag, 168 VLD, I think they topped out at 70.4 grains of Retumbo. I got 73.0 grains without a problem. And, I think that was about all that would fit in the case.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.