Berger Brass Question???

I'm in La and when I was gonna order some Prime ammo they were going to charge a HM fee along with the shipping. It's been a year or so and I never looked again. I've been ordering ammo through Midway and Powder Valley.
No HM fee from them.

I'll be darn, I have ordered over 15 cases from them and never had that and I'm in Ca. I wonder if it has to do with La. where you ordering strait from Prime or through a Prime dealer?

It was when I tried to order direct from Prime. It may have changed since then, but I found different ammo to order and shoot. May have been 2 years ago or more but there was a discussion about it on another forum.
Like I said, there was no HM fee getting ammo from other sources. I had a very lengthy conversation with our local RUAG dealer about it and he said it should not have had to have a HM charge tacked on to it. I tried several times during that period and there was no way to get it without the charge.

Last edited:
Must be nice. I can't afford to buy new brass for all my rifles. So, yes, I do use (and rely on) once-fired brass from several sources. Also, since I shoot a .35 Whelen, and can't always find brass for it, I make the brass from once-fired Remington 30-06. And most of my 25-06 brass is range brass that started life as .270 brass. When I was stationed in Kansas, and retired from the Army there, I hunted deer and coyote from 1998 until I moved to Colorado in 2013. All my hunting was done with used brass, and I supplied reloads for 4 other shooters who hunted with me. We never had a failure, and between the 5 of us, we probably killed around 14 to 15 deer a year. I would use any of my reloads in the brass I get from the range on any hunt I might go on. I do, however, buy .35 Whelen brass whenever I can find Remington brass in this cartridge, just because its nearly impossible to find the brass any other way. No-one who shoots a .35 Whelen leaves their brass at the range.

Why would you risk missing a 6x7 bull elk or a competition with unknown brass? Paper plinkers yes but even that puts an unknown variable into a process we try to take all variables out of for accuracy. Shooting is a stochastic endeavour so adding a random variable does not help. I can send you my rejects if you wish.

I take it you only buy factory ammo? That seems more risky than once fired range brass.

You can't be a reloader, by your own defintion it unsuitable for use after the first time you fire it because then it's used brass.

IMO - once it's been fired in your chamber, shoulder bumped back 0.002 you should be no worse off than those shooting new brass. Of course I'm leaving out all the other precision process's to save space.

From what I've read, brass does not fit your chamber until it has been fired a couple times. After you have FL sized to get a easy bolt close, your next couple firings are fitting your brass to your chamber. I would feel good about any brass until it fit my chamber properly if I was going on a once in a life time hunt.

Your going to have to fill in all the mystery blanks/issues one WILL have with once fired range brass!

Not all of us are elitists!

Thought I would post a couple pics of targets my wife shot this morning with once fired brass.
IMG-20190902-WA0003.jpeg
4 shots at 200yds

She had not qualified yet to shoot the targets/steel at 400 and 600 yards.

So I set up three of the targets the range sells that you must use to qualify on. 5 shots in a 6" circle at three hundred yards.

The heat waves had got so bad we could no longer see bullet holes at 400 yards. Then she got a little confused, end up shooting the target 7 times. Which was no big deal. She got her card showing she qualified. They didn't care how many extra holes (at least 5) were in the white, just couldn't be any in the orange!
IMG-20190902-WA0008.jpg

Not too bad for junk range brass...

Last edited:
I take it you only buy factory ammo? That seems more risky than once fired range brass.

You can't be a reloader, by your own defintion it unsuitable for use after the first time you fire it because then it's used brass.

IMO - once it's been fired in your chamber, shoulder bumped back 0.002 you should be no worse off than those shooting new brass. Of course I'm leaving out all the other precision process's to save space.

From what I've read, brass does not fit your chamber until it has been fired a couple times. After you have FL sized to get a easy bolt close, your next couple firings are fitting your brass to your chamber. I would feel good about any brass until it fit my chamber properly if I was going on a once in a life time hunt.

Your going to have to fill in all the mystery blanks/issues one WILL have with once fired range brass!

Not all of us are elitists!
I have been reloading for years. I own my shooting,range. I have targets out,to 1000 yards. My last group at 1000 yards with my 338LM was less than 3 inches. I use Lapua or Nosler brass only. Picking up range brass is an unknown. Precision long,range shooting is eminating as,many variables as,possible. Pick up all you can. Save a few bucks where you can.
I chose to use only premium components that I prep. Factory ammo is not something I would spend,my time,or money on but I would buy it over range brass because I would at least know it was new.

Thought I would post a couple pics of targets my wife shot this morning with once fired brass.
View attachment 1478044 shots at 200yds

She had not qualified yet to shoot the targets/steel at 400 and 600 yards.

So I set up three of the targets the range sells that you must use to qualify on. 5 shots in a 6" circle at three hundred yards.

The heat waves had got so bad we could no longer see bullet holes at 400 yards. Then she got a little confused, end up shooting the target 7 times. Which was no big deal. She got her card showing she qualified. They didn't care how many extra holes (at least 5) were in the white, just couldn't be any in the orange!
View attachment 147805

Not too bad for junk range brass...
At 100 and 200 yards you should see,one large hole. 6 inches at 300 is 2moa not a good group.

Fair enough...

My wife didn't want to sit out in the heat any longer so I too her rifle down to 600yds and dialed up these three shots before we packed up to go home.

BTW...6.5 Creedmoor that I built out of Internet parts.

IMG-20190902-WA0006.jpeg

600 yards is as far as I can shoot and the Hornady range brass does a decent job for me!

With it 95 degrees at noon time, almost no clouds (mirage was horrible), with a near full value 11 mph gusty wind...from a women who has not picked up a rife since deer season and has only been shooting for two deer seasons...

It's not terrible!

I have been shooting since I was 12 years old, and am turning 68 tomorrow. I have shot literally 10s of thousands of rounds in 5.56, .308/7.62X51, 30-06, 6mm Remington, 25-06, 300 winmag, 35 Whelen, 45-70, various pistol rounds, and I used to instruct both basic and advanced rifle and pistol marksmanship for various Infantry units in the U.S. Army. I have looked at both your targets, and the accuracy for a standard weight rifle is more than acceptable. The 200 yard target is under an inch center to center, and the 300 yard group is about a moa group. The range requirements may be 2 moa, but the group is much tighter than that. Also, you said '400 yards'. I assume the second target was shot at 400 yards, which puts the group inside one minute of angle. Given a heavy mirage, an 11 mph wind, gusting, a hot day, and a 6.5 made from internet parts, both groups are very good, in spite of what anyone else might say. And no, they shouldn't be one ragged hole at 200 yards. One ragged hole at 200 yards is what might be expected of an unlimited class bench rest rifle, but is an unreasonable expectation for rifles that one might be able to carry in the field. The U.S. Army expects a sniping rifle to be under 1 moa at 100 meters, when fired by an expert marksman from a completely rested position. Acceptable accuracy is actually more along the lines of 1.5 MOA. That's with the best match ammo issued. Most people can't afford the rifle the army uses for this. Also, most people would not carry it as a hunting rifle, because its too heavy. I don't know what the .338 Lapua rifle our well-heeled friend has weighs, but I'd bet its more than 12 lbs without glass. (by the way, I'm glad you are well heeled enough to have neat toys and have your own range, and wish I was too.) That's a big weight penalty when I'm hunting in the high country. I'll stay with my .35 Whelen or my .300 WinMag, both of which shoot inside 1 moa, but don't weigh more that about 8.5-9 lbs. I wouldn't feel bad about using my standard weight Ruger M77MKII either. It gets around 1moa at 100 yards with 5 shot groups. I think of this as: 'the perfect is the enemy of the good (enough)'.

At 100 and 200 yards you should see,one large hole. 6 inches at 300 is 2moa not a good group.
You own a range, you should already know the average shooter is pretty happy with a 2" group at 100yds.

I looked at our fellow shooters targets at 200yds and they were lucky to have two shots that were close to each other.

My wife might have three hundred shots down range. Her back ground had zero outdoors experience prior to 3 years ago.

I know the average women will out shoot most men. My mother used to be the best shot in the family. She is now 78yo and is still shooting pretty decent.

Yes she too used range brass her entire hunting career.

I agree with greenejc, its great you can have the toys you do. If I had the loot to have a 5k rifle I would, but I will settle for one that shoots pretty fair with parts I bought here on this Web site and a couple other sites.

I got to get back to sorting all the brass I picked up today!

Later!

Fair enough...

My wife didn't want to sit out in the heat any longer so I too her rifle down to 600yds and dialed up these three shots before we packed up to go home.

BTW...6.5 Creedmoor that I built out of Internet parts.

View attachment 147809

600 yards is as far as I can shoot and the Hornady range brass does a decent job for me!
That's nice shooting

You own a range, you should already know the average shooter is pretty happy with a 2" group at 100yds.

I looked at our fellow shooters targets at 200yds and they were lucky to have two shots that were close to each other.

My wife might have three hundred shots down range. Her back ground had zero outdoors experience prior to 3 years ago.

I know the average women will out shoot most men. My mother used to be the best shot in the family. She is now 78yo and is still shooting pretty decent.

Yes she too used range brass her entire hunting career.

I agree with greenejc, its great you can have the toys you do. If I had the loot to have a 5k rifle I would, but I will settle for one that shoots pretty fair with parts I bought here on this Web site and a couple other sites.

I got to get back to sorting all the brass I picked up today!

Later!
Average. Yes. Bench rest no. My range is private on our ranch.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.