Any LR reload info for Wby 300 mag?

Ddelozie

I am working on a long range load for my Weatherby Mark V 300 mag using Weatherby brass (Norma I Believe), Fed 215M primers, Nosler E-tip 180 grain bullets, and IMR 7828 SSC powder. I have tried to lengthen the ogive for better accuracy and have found that shorter is better :D (coal 3.550) for the Weatherby freebore.
I have mounted a 5-20X 50MM Huskemaw scope and I will have a turret cut once I am able to shoot a real accurate load. Need to gather good dope before any turret cutting.
Has anyone got information can help me with creating a new load?
Thanks in advance for any information!

The nosler etips have severe accuracy problems in many rifles. The accubonds are very accurate and if you want a solid copper bullet shoot the Barnes ttsx which also have extreme accuracy. My accuracy loads with 7828 and 180 grain bullets is between 84 and 85.5 grains.

Thank you Long Time Long Ranger! Can you give me information about your case trim length and coal?

I shoot a 300wby out of a vanguard submoa model 24in barrel. I use wby brass trimmed to book min. i think its 2.815, necks are VLD chamfered and lightly necked turned. i load 168gr TTSX and 84gr IMR7828 with 215GM primers COAL is 3.560" this gives me an average vel. of 3140fps kind of a light load for a wby but is very accurate out to 850yrds is the furthest i have shot it to.

Thank you Calhunter805! I have some good information to work with now.

Still would like to hear from anyone loading for the 300 Weatherby.

I trim to factory specs and OAL is typically the longest that will feed through my action. Then I tweek it for best accuracy. The Barnes ttsx bullets shoot extremely well in wby freebore rifles and is a top choice. So are the 200 accubonds. The Bergers with the extreme ogives many times do not perform well in wby freebore rifles because their seating depth is so critical and the sweet spot can not be achieved in a freebore rifle.

I load for 3 weatherbys, 2 are short throated, but you may find better accuracy by ditching the Fed215s and the 7828 for Fed210Ms and H4831sc, and you ES should be lower as well.

Thanks backwoods83. This is a different approach so I'll add it to my load testing. Always read that 215M was the primer to use for WBY loads.

For all powders that work good in the 300wby including Retumbo up to 90 grns Fed.210Ms or CCI BR2s work the best, imo you should never need any primer hotter than a CCI 250 unless its below 0 outside, Fed215s are very erratic, about 2700* or more.

190 grn VLD behind 80 grins of H4831sc and a CCI mag primer. It's on the light side however highly accurate in my 27 inch Shilen tube. Also loaded the 180 grn Sirracos with success.

Hey I have some CCI 250's and some H4831 so I am going to put some new loads together. Also load some 7828 SSC with the CCI primers. Erratic is what I am seeing with my current loads so am excited to see how the new primers will work. More to follow.... Thanks for the info!

Let us know how it turns out. Mine is a little frustrating as it shoots the lite loads like a house of fire, more in the 300 Win Mag range, but I cant argue with the accuracy.

My 3oo bee took a bit of work to figure out. At the end of the day my go to load now is

180grn TXS
84grn H4831sc
Fed 215
RP brass
COAL 3.562"
3150 ft/sec

It's a .3moa load out of my Mark V UL. 26". I have given this load to a few other Mark V shooters with similar results.

But I do have to say the best move I made for accuracy in my rifle was removing the pressure point. Made a huge difference!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts