Painting a stock

I want to get the same finish as the rifle in the McMillan Site. It is the Blue Target rifle. McMillan did not do the finish on this one it was privately done.
Our XIT stocks have some rough (textured) areas on the grip and forearm. These areas won't have the high gloss on them. We have Black High Gloss BAT "M" Action & Black Stainless trigger guard. I don't know what color I will Ceracote the Barrel or just leave it SS.
Matte Black Spuhr Mount and Ram 200 and NF Scope.
We have all the parts now, just have to chamber the barrel. .338LMAI

Attachments

• XIT L.jpg
    XIT L.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 80
  • XIT R.jpg
    XIT R.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Thanks.
We have our own shop and can do it ourselves. It's just that our Creakote operation is down for a while until I get some help moving all the equipment. Just want to see if there is something in a spray can that zi can use for now.
I have used Dura Coat Firearm Finishes on my own rifle and have not had any problems.

Hey Darryle
What do you mean by "I would think over the McSwirly". I just want to do this right way or I will wait till I get our Cerakote opp back p.
Thanks
Len

The marble used to be referred to as a McSwirly, you could even order the colors and percentages at one time, don't have a clue anymore. I have a McSwirly Black and Blue marble

I've done several stocks with the sponge method. Here are a couple of mine. Definitely use a clear coat to seal and help it be more durable. I prefer a matte clear coat.

338 RUM:
View attachment 570347

Savage Rascal (his and hers for my 2 kids):
View attachment 570345View attachment 570346

Those turned out awesome!! I just got a black EH1 from RBros. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to attempt my first stock painting also. Thanks for the inspiration.
Dustin

I'm looking at some Tamiya colors. Not sure if I'll clear coat it or not
Fwiw; the carbon fiber stock has a matte clear coat enamel from a shaker can. I removed all of the factory clear coat with acetone before I applied grip panels, primed, and painted it. The ABS stock is just Testor's flat enamel no primer. Both stocks were sprayed with an airbrush.

Last edited: