Info on the 300 Norma Mag

Scot E

Hoping I can get some input from those with experience or knowledge of the 300 Norma Mag. I am specifically interested in ballistics info with some of the heavier, 208-230 grain bullets, velocity, barrel life, etc.

This cartridge seems to have a magical reputation when you read about it online, ie great velocity out of a short barrel (24-26), great barrel life, and very accurate with little prep work or load prep, workup, etc. Just trying to get some real world info to see how it compares. I am trying to find the top end of the big 30's where a guy can find premium performance while not having to worry so much about barrel life, chasing the lands due to a rapidly eroding throat, and big long barrels with lots of recoil. It seems to have lots of potential as a great cartridge if it reputation proves accurate. Plus it has great brass available.

Thanks in advance,

Scot E.

26" barrel and a 208 A-Max the target speed is 3080 fps. Retumbo will get you there as will ramshot magnum. I shoot the 338 but both my friends use the 300 with Retumbo.

I've developed loads for several 300 Norma Mags and 230 grain Berger Hybrids. 3000 fps is pretty easy with no pressure in 26" barrels with H1000. Given the shortness of this cartridge, it's easy to run a long throat, seat the bullet long, and get the bullet out of the case while running comfortable mag length for a repeater.

Can't really comment on barrel life, but I wouldn't expect much more than 1000-1200 rounds. It's a lot of powder.

Oh, and inherent precision was awesome in both rifles. No apparent sensitivity to seating depth or powder charge. It's usually not so easy to get such easy precision with such a high ballistic performance round.

As a piece of anecdotal information, I watched a 17 year old boy shoot a wild hog in Texas at over a mile with this round and the 230 Berger Hybrid. Hit on 3rd shot after bracketing the wind. Bullet passed straight thru behind head, lights out.

If I were going to build a .30 cal for long range hunting this would be it for sure. Don't forget a muzzle brake.

-Bryan

Thanks for the info Brian.

There was a thread here or on the Hide talking about crazy good barrel life with this cartridge. I would think your numbers are about right.

Any suggestions on smiths that have experience with the 300 Norma?

Were the 26 inch barrels chosen for a specific reason that you know of? I have heard 24-26 is all that is needed to get top performance.

Would 3200 fps with the 215 Berger be about right?

Thanks,

Scot E.

3000 for a 230 corresponds to more like 3100 with the 215.

Gre-Tan (Gre'-Tan Rifles) smithed one of the rifles I worked on, and I think the other was by Surgeon. Both very well put-together. The throat length is the only real thing to focus on getting right, that and the 1:10" twist.

No magic with the 24" or 26" length. Same trade-offs apply: longer barrels produce higher MV, but have more harmonics and need to be stiffer/heavier. Shorter barrels make more practical hunting rifles, etc. Cool thing about the .300 Norma is you can get 'enough' velocity with a short barrel.

I'm currently building a 7.62 PRO, a wildcat I tweaked off the 338 Norma Mag, 35 degree shoulder with a .375" long neck, a 32" Rock Creek 10 twist 5R AMU contour bbl that should get me to 3200 -3250 fps with 215 gr Bergers,

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.