300 Norma Mag

I have shot several & made 3 different Wildcats from it. I'll try & help with any specific questions you may have. The parent works very as is. I thought it was a very good substantial case to base a 7mmXR, 300XR & a 338XR off of. What has worked the best for me is Fed. 215M primers. Retumbo & N570 is your friend. I have not pushed the calibers very hard. They started shooting very well right off the bat so I just didn't search out a maximum load. The 7mmXR is 10.4" high at 100 yards will put you on @ 700 yards. The 300XR spits a Hornady 208 AMAX out at an avg. for 20 shots of 3157 fps. I don't remember what the 338XR does. I just shot it enough to see that it was going to be a shooter......it is.
Semper Fi

Thanks for the info, I am excited about this new rifle as Surgeon builds a great gun.it sounds like you have great luck with Retumbo and N570, I have heard that from others.

The Norma brass is expensive but very high quality. What did you use for bullets.

MG

The only two bullets that I have tried are Hornady's 208 AMAX & Berger's 230gr. Hydrid. Excellent accuracy from both. I would shoot either or in a match. I'll try Lapua Scenar 155gr. in the near future. I plan to shoot all three in out 1000 yard matches by the end of the summer.

Thanks, I will give Hornady a try. The long range shooting is interesting and challenging. We have been done a lot of shooting in the AZ desert, lots different western North Dakota.

I haven't built myself a 338 Lapua yet as I've had so many through here for testing. I'm about to and there will be an extra barrel, 300 Norma. I love big 30's for LR shooting.

I have my own action made for me by Stiller so I don't use their actions. But yes I know them well. Our paths cross in other endeavors. Good bunch. No worries.

I predict a .300 Norma Magnum barrel that starts out shooting 1/4 MOA at 100 yards and 3/4 MOA at 1000 yards will do that for no more than 600 rounds. Maybe 700 if one's lucky. That's a way, way over bore cartridge.

I predict a .300 Norma Magnum barrel that starts out shooting 1/4 MOA at 100 yards and 3/4 MOA at 1000 yards will do that for no more than 600 rounds. Maybe 700 if one's lucky. That's a way, way over bore cartridge.

If so I would not be interested, kinda hard to get away from 300WM for me, however that 30-375 Ruger is interesting & may not be too much of a good thing.

If you know how to manage carbon fouling and heat checking you can expect 900 good rounds out of the 300 Norma. The 30-375 is a better balanced round. By that I mean you get enough of a boost in velocity over the 300WM without increasing recoil much, as well as shortening barrel the life. It works with a .523 bolt face VS the need for a custom action for a 300 Norma. It works very well with heavy bullets. I've shot it out to 2K. With that being said there are no free lunches.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.