Already tagged out.

Sledhead406

Season started yesterday in my area. Nasty blizzard dropped 18" of snow on us when the forecast said it wouldn't do anything. Par for the course since this year as we've already had 46".

An hour after shooting light we jumped 10 head, two cows with calves and a smaller 6 point. I smoked the bull with my 280 at 155yds and my buddies both dropped a cow, each with one shot on the run. Flawless... Except We apparently should have waited..

We were on the second trip out with the last carcasses when we decided to have a beer on a point overlooking an excellent mule deer spot. here we saw about 150 more elk on the ridge. We drove right by them that morning on the way to the usual elk spot. In the blizzard we had no idea and they usually don't come that low until later season.

This morning we went back to see what happened overnight and simply watch the herd. Turns out there was another 75+ just out of sight from our spot and they came over to bed down for the night right on the point we scope from. Our neighbor is savvy and knocked down 4 more around noon with his family. Saw a beautiful 6' black bear too (unusual this late In the fall, and i watch more bears than anything), we let him live another year, but it was hard talking my buddy off the trigger. Also 5 decent 5x5 mule deer we let run for later.

So...elk season's over for me but I must observe this is a crazy year. The amount of early snow has elk moving like it's second week of November, and bears are apparently confused too. Mule deer are still spread out and I can't figure their pattern. I'll bump a good Muley later but all animal patterns are backwards in my area of central Montana. Odd.

I'll have to figure out how to attach the few pics we actually took. We've always been terrible about actually taking nice pictures of these hunts.

Any way to attach direct like an email? Only see "image url"?

In the reply box, the 6th logo from the right along the top looks like a picture of a sun over a mountain. That's the one to attach a photo.

We have excellent bear hunting here and have now gotten very selective. They don't hurt anything and the population stays pretty consistent so we only shoot one a year usually. Now its typically guiding young kids or other family members that have not gotten a bear before.

This year was an exception as the berries were almost non-existent due to hail in August. So we left the limited amount of bears alone. Besides, at this point my two buddies and I have gotten enough bears that an absolute giant would have to show himself before it would be worth shooting. My one buddy is trigger happy though!

As to the pics... Im still working on it.

Test

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.