Snowed Out!

Well, it is CO in October, so anything can happen and often does. Since I live about an hour to 1-1/2 from most of my hunting spots, "usually" I do not get snowed out, but I have pushed snow to my bumper on my lifted F150 wearing large tires and chains. It did get interesting.

I always carry tire chains, shovel, ax, boards, long ropes, pull chains & straps, and a blizzard bag filled with a few days of rations and other supplies. Blankets, cold weather sleeping bag, tarps, and assorted other items always ride in my rear seat, for those unexpected adventures that may require an extended stay. (Read too dumb to leave)

As winkles and totally white hair have set in, often, I wonder about my exploitations into these mountains, but then I think, what better way to go then enjoying the last elk hunt in a CO snowstorm surrounded by 14ers. But, my wife disagrees.

Last edited:
I remember snowshoe hunting in a Pennsylvania deer season with 2 1/2 ft. of snow. I was the only hunter in that woods those two days but did get my deer and pulled it out on a "DeerSleigher" plastic roll up sled. Barely got my old Plymouth Duster "winter beater" car out with chains the 2nd day with another foot of snow during the day.

Eric B.

So at 69 with some back issues and rest of group headed out, I actually thought of finding a place to hunker down for few days but the same old dilemma comes up. How do I get back to where I was when chains were needed to just get out before the big snow occurred. My tent could not hold up to the heavy snow and not likely to find a cabin etc near hunting I knew. Hunting alone at my age in the back country is not a great idea and my wife would probably echo that sentiment with adjectives. I would agree. Its just CO in October and you need to be aware of it when you hunt elevation that light rain down low can be nasty snowstorm higher up. I carry virtually everything for truck to get out but at 3-4' of snow, even 2500 4x4's can be bogged down. The real problem was the two track was beat to heck and some of the cuts would be impossible in wheeled vehicle with 3-4' of snow. I even had to pull out one of our trucks that slid down off the two track back up onto more solid footing. He then beat feet out of there! I feel like if I was in better shape, younger and not married, I would have tried to find a hunker down spot. LOL, that's a pipe dream for sure! Life isn't always fair when hunting elevation and prepare for the worse and accept the decision that has to be made for safe travel out. Yes it hurts, I prepared pretty well for this trip walking 8-9 miles at a time and lost over 30 lbs in the process. Tags are expensive and short lived. Rifle was shooting so sweet and will use later in deer season just to make sure "it" knows I care.....HAHA

So at 69 with some back issues and rest of group headed out, I actually thought of finding a place to hunker down for few days but the same old dilemma comes up. How do I get back to where I was when chains were needed to just get out before the big snow occurred. My tent could not hold up to the heavy snow and not likely to find a cabin etc near hunting I knew. Hunting alone at my age in the back country is not a great idea and my wife would probably echo that sentiment with adjectives. I would agree. Its just CO in October and you need to be aware of it when you hunt elevation that light rain down low can be nasty snowstorm higher up. I carry virtually everything for truck to get out but at 3-4' of snow, even 2500 4x4's can be bogged down. The real problem was the two track was beat to heck and some of the cuts would be impossible in wheeled vehicle with 3-4' of snow. I even had to pull out one of our trucks that slid down off the two track back up onto more solid footing. He then beat feet out of there! I feel like if I was in better shape, younger and not married, I would have tried to find a hunker down spot. LOL, that's a pipe dream for sure! Life isn't always fair when hunting elevation and prepare for the worse and accept the decision that has to be made for safe travel out. Yes it hurts, I prepared pretty well for this trip walking 8-9 miles at a time and lost over 30 lbs in the process. Tags are expensive and short lived. Rifle was shooting so sweet and will use later in deer season just to make sure "it" knows I care.....HAHA

Wimped out. :D Seriously, given the area and the snow expectations, you made a good decision. In these mountains, I have seen vehicles that were left behind in unexpected deep snow storms only to be there when spring arrived. I have also seen camper trailers with crushed roofs that were left till spring.

Our Jeremiah Johnson days are fairly over.

It is an interesting 2nd season indeed. I made the short drive back home, Monday afternoon, not only because my trans started acting weird (cleared up on the drive home), but because I didn't have enough snow in 18, 28, 37. Not a big deal for me, be back out on Friday to the end. Berthoud Pass was a bit of a monster, as it was a full on blizzard east of Winter Park, on top of about 12" of snow and the plows hadn't been through yet. Did see a camper trailer off a forest road at 9500', the aspens saved them from going down the mountain side. Looks like they were leaving and it wasn't a lot of snow yet, but it had been freakin cold at night and the roads slippery! BTW didn't see much either.

The past few years, I have been hunting 3rd rifle, for I decided to trade the chance of more bulls killed for more high country snow driving them down a little lower. It has paid off, as a few falls have been warm and dry. Not now! Fall came late but came in with a vengeance, so maybe this will be a good 3rd rifle. IF I can get into my areas then. Snow shoe or snow mobile time?

Well, it is CO in October, so anything can happen and often does. Since I live about an hour to 1-1/2 from most of my hunting spots, "usually" I do not get snowed out, but I have pushed snow to my bumper on my lifted F150 wearing large tires and chains. It did get interesting.

I always carrying tire chains, shovel, ax, boards, long ropes, pull chains & straps, and a blizzard bag filled with a few days of rations and other supplies. Blankets, cold weather sleeping bag, tarps, and assorted other items always ride in my rear seat, for those unexpected adventures that may require an extended stay. (Read too dumb to leave)

As winkles and totally white hair have set in, often, I wonder about my exploitations into these mountains, but then I think, what better way to go then enjoying the last elk hunt in a CO snowstorm surrounded by 14ers. But, my wife disagrees.

We had family that had a place in the Three Forks area.Long time ago we were visiting in August and on the day of our anticipated departure we awoke to 15 inches of snow. In northern Colorado you never know what the weather is going to be.

Hows it looking in Routt NF above Craig? Its funny the weather forecasts haven't been showing any or hardly precip at all.

Were not smart enough to leave but never got more than 2' at one time 3rd season in central Colorado. We have chained up all 4's and locked the diffs and broken the trail bobtailing it for the first 15 miles to get us through the worst then go back for the camper and flatbed trailers. The first sign of snow most people bug out and we are left alone with no camps for those 15 miles.
That being said we go play in the hills in the deep snow and get stuck for fun....
IMG_9539.JPG

Good times

Darrell

I was near Granby last Saturday - had a bit of new snow - maybe 3-4" but the wind picked up and trees started falling (old dead beetle kill trees still sort of standing) so I headed back out early. No elk tracks, fair amount of deer tracks between 9,500' and 10,500'. Another hunter reported seeing a small bull down low.
I'm heading back up this weekend - we'll see what's going on there.

I was near Granby last Saturday - had a bit of new snow - maybe 3-4" but the wind picked up and trees started falling (old dead beetle kill trees still sort of standing) so I headed back out early. No elk tracks, fair amount of deer tracks between 9,500' and 10,500'. Another hunter reported seeing a small bull down low.
I'm heading back up this weekend - we'll see what's going on there.
with all the snow we been getting or are going to get this next week-- 3rd season should be good down low this year

with all the snow we been getting or are going to get this next week-- 3rd season should be good down low this year

Cohunt... will be north of Craig 20+ miles for the 4th rifle season....elevations of 6200 to 6700 if I remember correctly....any predictions or suggestions?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.