Snowed Out!

Muddyboots

Just got back from Northern CO after deciding to pull plug late Sunday after getting about 12" snow on Sunday with forecast for 2-3' in next 36 hours. Was close decision but not in good place for bugout so decided it was wiser to be cautious then sitting there wondering WTH to do next when snow up to sun don't shine. Tough call but will stand by it. You can always second guess after the snow totals but Monday Morning QB can get you into real trouble if you are wrong. Guess I always have been conservative in this point of view. Still needed chains for extra traction pulling loaded trailer and one of the routes was already not practically drivable. This was the 2nd time I've been snowed out and so far when I look back it was right call to make at the time it was made.

So how many have you been snowed out this year? Past years?

I took this year off from Clark Colorado Elk and Mule deer Hunt and went to Newfoundland for a Moose Hunt. Thinking I might have done the right thing this year, 1 of the guys sent me a pic of Mule deer he got but they where 0 on the elk with 18" snow on the ground and still snowing . Haven't heard from them today but I can't imagine how some of those guys will get there camper off the mountain behind steamboat lake. I drove up there 1 year in the rental truck in nice weather and that was an experience . Last year I was walking around with just my orange vest on it was so hot. I hope they get something its a long @ss ride out from the east coast.
GOOD LUCK GUYS . BRING HOME THE MEAT

Happen to me this year in Oregon. Rare event. Was camped at 5800 ft. and the only road out was a 10 mile steep gravel road on the north side of the mountains. Up to 12" snow over 3 days with nights in the teens with mud everywhere due to recent rains. AND I didn't bring the chains!
Been up there all week and only seen a handful of does anyway. Decided to head out and watch from the comfort of home. I bet the guys who stayed did well though. There was plenty of snow and cold to get the big ones moving.

Got caught this year, and just getting in. Needed dozer help getting trailer out.

We've managed to out run storms a time or two-pushed a little far, stayed a little late this time.

I called local CPW office just out of being curious and was told the forecast was actually light and 2' had already fallen on top of the 12" we got Sat/Sun and still snowing hard. I am definitely OK with bugout decision! This Monday Morning QB review went well for change. Ride home was fun in western WY on I-80 with black ice with 45 mph speed limit for quite some distance. 4WD kind of kills MPG! But again wise choice for conditions.

Doesnt 2nd season go till this Sunday? We are suposed to get hammered wed night into Thursday morning and more snow on sunday in the high country

Last edited:
Ya my dad is in that area right now hunting elk. I think it ends wed or Thursday.
No one in that camp has seen and elk. This is a guided service also and all anyone has seen is a few mile deer. So I think you made the right call.

Ten years ago my new girlfriend and I almost got snowed in on the Big Horns. Went up Friday night after work right in front of a storm, camped in the front of the 4 door pickup.
Got a foot of snow that night and another bunch the next day.
Decided to get outa dodge, and found several places that coming DOWN the mountain was tough, and that was with brand new Cooper STTs and chains.
We've since backed off the extreme weather hunting, but 2 of the last 3 years have been severely cut short with rain.
We've been hunting the CMR, and when it rains you don't move.
After losing our entire bow season last year to the mud, we bought a boat this year and ran the river.

It really sucks when your once-a-year hunt gets cut short due to weather!

I guess I'll go ahead and give you guys something to think about. My hunting spot is about an hour and a half from where I live. We take my camper up in August for archery and leave it until the first week of December for the late-season hunt. It sits at about 8700 feet and I'll go up after really heavy snows and sweep off the roof. There is no such thing as snowed out. Get some chains and snowshoes and keep hunting. Yes, the first day after a heavy snow is treacherous but let the road hunters pack in the roads and continue your hunt. If you have a trailer or camper maybe move it near the main road that is maintained. You, fair weather guys, kill me. Last year the first week of December we killed 3 elk in one morning in a blizzard with 3' of snow on the ground. Yes, if you are in the backcountry and are not prepared get out but if your hunting out of a truck just move and continue the hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.