Tagged out on my super early cow tag

Tikkamike

The last 2 years I have been hunting an august cow rifle tag, this year was perfect weather, 60* up on the mountain with scattered rain. Me and a buddy met some other friends of mine up there Friday. Nobody was in camp when I got there at 430 in the afternoon so we drove up and went for a hike. Didnt see a thing. I was worried because where we went held a lot of elk the year before. Next morning we decided to go try a canyon to the north and as the sun was coming up there was nothing to be seen. Finally we spotted some elk coming down from the top to go to water, so we headed up to intercept them. we got up there and it was 3 bulls but there were more elk up on top that were cows so we started up after them, before too long we looked down and there were some cows below us headed into the trees so we decided to haul butt down to them because they were only a couple hundred yards from a road. I got down to where I could get a shot and they were about into the dark timber. I got set up then ranged them @425. This was further than I wanted to shoot because I had never shot my 338 win more than 100 yards and hadnt had a chance to verify the drops in my B&C reticle. I knew it had to be close though because my ballistics calculator said it was almost spot on. so as the last one was walking into the treesI got settled on the very last opening. The elk wouldnt stop so I just put it on the shoulder and let it fly. I recovered from the recoil just in time to see it flopping over onto its back. the 225TTSX performed awesome. I didnt have a camera and we quartered it to pack to the truck but it was just a youngin. Pleased with the 338 win so far though.

Nice job! Do you still have another tag? Not the one of yours that I have either, 10 more days to wait, woo hoo!

I burned my general about a week after i killed the cow in this post. But I still have the girl version of your tag (type 7) i have some deer tags to fill then ill go see if I wack another elk

I have a type 7 also. The game warden from Thermop called me in August and asked if I was interested in trying to take an elk down low on some of the private property to help with depredation. I just couldn't get excited about trying to take care of an elk in such hot weather, so I passed. Frank Robbins pulled his ranch from the HMU, so I might have to give him a call and see if he will let me hunt his place for a cow again.

I have a type 7 also. The game warden from Thermop called me in August and asked if I was interested in trying to take an elk down low on some of the private property to help with depredation. I just couldn't get excited about trying to take care of an elk in such hot weather, so I passed. Frank Robbins pulled his ranch from the HMU, so I might have to give him a call and see if he will let me hunt his place for a cow again.

Mark me down for cows on Franks Place. I have a honey hole up there that always has elk in it seems like. The HMU took it off the table last season but great to know its off there now. I bet that ranch down low is the old Box H When My grandpa owned it the elk were all over the fields early in the year so I assume its still the same. I will be taking a buddy hunting this year who has never killed an elk so maybe we can make a meet and greet of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.