Advice on 1000 yard elk hunting rig?

7RM
Cold bore shot

3 more on a different target immediately following

5 shots @ 200

5 shots @ 806

I can post 100 to 1000 yard groups all day but it really doesn't change the fact that by design belted magnums are inherently less accurate. Having said that I still own them. I don't ever remember seeing anyone win any kind of benchrest match with a 7 rm, probably bc it's not a good choice to start with

Thank you for all of your input. After seeing that bull's reaction to a 210 grain 30 cal bullet, I am really tempted to stick with a 30 cal. I do however have quite a bit of 28 nosler brass already though.
I live in Billings, MT. Does anyone have a particular gunsmith that they could recommend for me to work with on this build?
Thanks again.

The 28 Nosler will do everything you want. A 180 gr bullet from a 7mm is as good as a 180 gr bullet from a 30 cal.
Alex Wheeler is one of the very best gunsmiths period and he is in our own state.

I can post 100 to 1000 yard groups all day but it really doesn't change the fact that by design belted magnums are inherently less accurate. Having said that I still own them. I don't ever remember seeing anyone win any kind of benchrest match with a 7 rm, probably bc it's not a good choice to start with
Why is a belted case less accurate than a non-belted case?
I reload my 7RM the same way I do my 6.5SLR or 6CM, or a few of the 6XC/6PPC I have loaded for. Decap, clean, size & bump the shoulders back .015", use a neck expanding mandrel to .002" below bullet diameter (.282"), trickle powder to the individual kernel, seat the bullets to the exact CBTO.

Elk at/near 1k as a primary is something with a 3 for the first number. Broz did a comparison of the 7/300win and his .300 win. He said it was decidedly obvious how much more reaction to the shot the 300 was vs the same case 7. He was using the 195's I believe in the 7 as well.
I'd want a big 30 at minimum and a 338edge or larger as optimum. The frontal area of the big bullets are really a plus. Add in 20-45% more mass depending what caliber and it really isn't comparable.
800 and in is different. Less time of flight less windage = less chance of a poor shot.
Coyotes deer and smaller game would not demand the bigger boom stick. Elk and similar sized game though really warrant more energy on target. Perfect conditions sure a 6.5 can do it. If you can hunt every day of every season you can carry a smaller rifle for sure. If your traveling why take the chance.

300 Win mag is tough to beat, its a classic, brass is plentiful and its ballistics are right there with all of the other short fat, non belted copies of itself. The only "fault" other than having a belt is the neck is shorter than ideal. That being said the bull you killed didn't know the difference. If I build a dedicated elk long range rig it will be in 300 RUM. I have a 300 win, its getting a new barrel being chambered for 7mm Mashburn. I don't own a 7mm of any kind so that will be it. I also own a 30-338 win...its a fantastic cartridge also. In a Ruger action that you cant seat out past 3.340 OAL I think it better than a 300 win for that application. My opinion...I'm in the process of finishing a 338-06 in a Mauser right now...neat round also. Opening up a case really ups the horsepower you can get out of it. Bottom line, just pick your favorite flavor and build one...

Why is a belted case less accurate than a non-belted case?
I reload my 7RM the same way I do my 6.5SLR or 6CM, or a few of the 6XC/6PPC I have loaded for. Decap, clean, size & bump the shoulders back .015", use a neck expanding mandrel to .002" below bullet diameter (.282"), trickle powder to the individual kernel, seat the bullets to the exact CBTO.

The fact that they are harder to keep consistent around the belt makes them inherently less accurate. Also I've seen more than one top end rifle
Builder give there belted magnums half moa and there non belted 3/8 moa guarantees. I'm not knocking belted cases as I enjoy shooting them along with everything else. There is just a reason belted cases don't shoot and win in the benchrest world, a world that everyone is trying to get an upper leg.

Thank you for all of your input. After seeing that bull's reaction to a 210 grain 30 cal bullet, I am really tempted to stick with a 30 cal. I do however have quite a bit of 28 nosler brass already though.
I live in Billings, MT. Does anyone have a particular gunsmith that they could recommend for me to work with on this build?
Thanks again.

Dan Lilja in Montana makes excellent barrels. Also Dave Gentry smithing in Montana. Never used him, but I understand he caters to lefthanders.

http://gentrycustom.com/

Belted mags sure are nice for wildcatting, no need to worry about fire forming, the belt has it headspaced.

I would think the MAIN reason belted magnums don't shoot in the BR competitions is recoil, plain and simple. You don't see any non-belted magnums in BR either. .308, 6BR, 6 PPC, 6 Dasher, 6x47L, 6.5x47L, 6BRAW, etc.

I would think the MAIN reason belted magnums don't shoot in the BR competitions is recoil, plain and simple. You don't see any non-belted magnums in BR either. .308, 6BR, 6 PPC, 6 Dasher, 6x47L, 6.5x47L, 6BRAW, etc.

A good Smith could cut down a belted magnum case and make a 6br length belted case and put what ever shoulder angle and neck length they want to on it. And neck it to whatever caliber they want. Then it wouldn't have excessive recoil but not one person does it. I wonder why ? BECAUSE it would not be as accurate. In fact somewhere along the line I imagine someone has tried it. The belt in the case just hinders consistency. That's not my opinion. Thats fact