Need advice on a new stalking rig!

Thanks for the info everyone.

My new questions:
1. I am interested in both the Forbes rifles and the NULA rifles. Both are bedded all the way without free floating the barrel. Isn't free floating better for accuracy? My issue with the Forbes currently is that they dont produce magnums yet.
2. Whats the difference between Sako and Tikka. I know they are made in the same factory but are they different components/actions?
3. I have seen a lot of great looking 700's, what are their capabilities. Have they fixed the mysterious firing issue yet? I, like most folks, saw the 60 minutes special but haven't seen much follow up.

You all are awesome for helping.

1) Free floating is better for consistent accuracy and minimizing POI shift from month to month and in different weather conditions. Non free floated barreled actions can be accurate rifles, but their POI after zeroing is more likely to change from month to month, IMO.
2) Sako will cost more than Tikka, but have no better barrel IMO. The action may be different between the two. The Tikka line can be just as accurate as the Sako line, and I wouldn't buy the Sako, unless there was some feature you needed that was only available in the Sako line of rifles. Again - my opinion.
3) Can't help much with this as I don't use factory 700s. Lots of guys are using 700s which have been modified and blueprinted by gunsmiths. The Remington Sendero is the one Remington 700 model that guys seem to have good luck with from the factory. They are a heavier rifle with a heavier contour barrel. I've read just a little about the trigger issue in days gone by. I don't see members mentioning it on this Forum, and don't give the issue tremendous credibility. It may have once been a problem, but it's difficult to believe Remington could remain in business if it was a real and continuing problem.

Phorwath, you forgot to mention that folks are also have excellent success shooting the Rem 700 5R Milspec rifles as well. Mine, out of the box, is shooting sub 1/4 MOA with handloads.

My old style Remington triggers came in the other day...So now I'm fixing to pull that *** mickey mouse X-Mark Pro out of it, and put in a REAL trigger.

Also, my newly-built lightweight 700 whitetail rig has put down 2 deer in 2 days, both +/- 125 yards away. I'm happy with it.

Here's a pic of it with the big doe I shot last yesterday afternoon.

AE39521F-C157-43C6-AB2C-C1A9470B10B6_zpsjqmxweho.jpg

Phorwath, you forgot to mention that folks are also have excellent success shooting the Rem 700 5R Milspec rifles as well. Mine, out of the box, is shooting sub 1/4 MOA with handloads.

My old style Remington triggers came in the other day...So now I'm fixing to pull that *** mickey mouse X-Mark Pro out of it, and put in a REAL trigger.

MR05,
That's very impressive accuracy for an out of the box factory, from any company mass producing rifles. I've read about these 5R Milspec rifles on the Forum a little, but didn't know they might be living up to the Sendero reputation - out of the box. Are they about the same overall weight as the Senderos?

Yeah, I don't have much experience with factory 700s. I do own and use two, but both were already blueprinted by gunsmiths and had custom aftermarket barrels and triggers on them at the time I purchased them. And they're both shooters.

I've backpack hunted with the Tikka T3's now for about 8 years. Plus my brother owns a gunshop and sells quite a few T3s. I have a number of buddies that own and shoot them. So I was able to offer some informed comment on them as a viable stalking rifle.

You're post is one reason I enjoy participating on this Forum. Just too many makes and models of rifles to experience them all. Pretty sure your 5R Milspec won't be up for sale any time soon. Those kind of shooters typically live and die with one owner!

Also, my newly-built lightweight 700 whitetail rig has put down 2 deer in 2 days, both +/- 125 yards away. I'm happy with it.

Here's a pic of it with the big doe I shot last yesterday afternoon.

Mud, here's a guy looking for one of those Micky Mouse X-Mark's

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...0-action-where-can-i-find-replacement-129324/

And BTW, congrats on recent double banger success! Well done!

MR05,
That's very impressive accuracy for an out of the box factory, from any company mass producing rifles. I've read about these 5R Milspec rifles on the Forum a little, but didn't know they might be living up to the Sendero reputation - out of the box. Are they about the same overall weight as the Senderos?

Yeah, I don't have much experience with factory 700s. I do own and use two, but both were already blueprinted by gunsmiths and had custom aftermarket barrels and triggers on them at the time I purchased them. And they're both shooters.

I've backpack hunted with the Tikka T3's now for about 8 years. Plus my brother owns a gunshop and sells quite a few T3s. I have a number of buddies that own and shoot them. So I was able to offer some informed comment on them as a viable stalking rifle.

You're post is one reason I enjoy participating on this Forum. Just too many makes and models of rifles to experience them all. Pretty sure your 5R Milspec won't be up for sale any time soon. Those kind of shooters typically live and die with one owner!

Yeah, they're really close the same weight as the Senderos. The main differences are the stock's color, smooth barrel (not fluted), and 5R rifling vs. the Remington standard 6-groove. I have become quite the fan of the 5R rifling since buying my 5R back in 2010-2011 (somewhere around in there...LOL). If your brother can get you a 5R .308 Win with the 24" barrel, then you will have the exact same gun as me. And you will enjoy it, I am certain of that.

I am a bit of a collector/hoarder. Guns never leave my possession unless going to the gunsmith. I never sell any, I just buy more and more. So, pretty much all of mine will be going to the grave with me. :D

I have heard great things about the Tikkas, although I have never owned one.

Mud, here's a guy looking for one of those Micky Mouse X-Mark's

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...0-action-where-can-i-find-replacement-129324/

And BTW, congrats on recent double banger success! Well done!

Thanks Mark! Yeah it's been a COLD 2 days of hunting for me. LOL Friday is the last day of the season, so maybe I'll go for a three-peat.

I would offer him mine, but I'm not sure when I'm going to pull it out of the 5R. Maybe tonight, maybe next weekend or something.

Thanks Mark! Yeah it's been a COLD 2 days of hunting for me. LOL Friday is the last day of the season, so maybe I'll go for a three-peat.

I would offer him mine, but I'm not sure when I'm going to pull it out of the 5R. Maybe tonight, maybe next weekend or something.

I think he's got an offer from another member.

Cold? Alabama cold? Whatever :)

I think he's got an offer from another member.

Cold? Alabama cold? Whatever :)

Yall have dry cold...We have wet cold. Come down here sometime during late Jan...You'll get cold. I've walked around in the snow up in north Tenn wearing a long sleeve t-shirt, boots, and carhartt pants, like it wasn't nothing. Down here it's wet Nd it sticks to you, and cuts straight through your clothes all the way to the middle of your bones. Oh, and it was 17 degrees when I got to the stand Friday morning. For Alabama...That is f'ing C.O.L.D.! Our 17 degrees would be near the equivelant of yall's -40. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.