1000 yard elk with a 6.5?

My daughter took a bull elk at 794 yards with a 6.5 CM loaded with 156 EOL Berger. Not sure of the velocity because she used the guide's gun. That was the first time she shot that gun. My 270 that we took was only set up for 500 yards. She does practice out to 500 yards pretty regularly with me so I had confidence in her to make the shot and knew the custom built gun the guide was caring could make the shot as well.

High shoulder shot so he dropped and couldn't get back up. We could see him throwing his head around but we couldn't get another shot because of some cedar tree branches, so we drove over there at finished him off with another shot.

We didn't see an exit hole from the fist shot.

Attachments

• Meg3.jpg
    Meg3.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Meg1.JPG
    Meg1.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 66
This one almost makes the grade :)

.260 AI for all of these.

140 VLD-H @ 2930, 715 yards, 1 shot, center shoulder. Bullet exited. At impact he lunged forward and turned around, stopped, then tipped over backwards. From impact until he was down, about 10 seconds. Very last clip in the video.
View attachment 418405
Entrance
View attachment 418440
Exit
View attachment 418441

140 VLD-H @ 2930, 610 yards, 1 shot, bullet exited. Her first big game animal ever btw. At impact she hunched up, took about 10 steps forward and went down. About 20 seconds from impact until she was down. Top of heart shot, bullet under hide on off side. Unfortunately, I was focused on getting my niece her elk, no good video.
View attachment 418406
Entrance hole
View attachment 418445
Heart with frag through it, it was barely hanging on inside the cavity.
View attachment 418447

147 ELD-M @ 3040, 816 yards, 2 impacts. My first one hit back in the liver, then pulled second shot low and missed, then followed up with an impact through shoulder. Second shot exited, first shot did not. After the second hit, he was down pretty quick. Video as well.
View attachment 418407

147 eld-m @ 3040, 703 yards, one shot. Bullet deflected on impact, and was recovered under the hide in the rear flank/front of hind quarter. You can see the impact right in the shoulder, above and in front of elbow. Video shows she was quartering, but not enough for that impact to end up in the hind quarter. She was the first one shot in the video. She ran a long ways and needed tracked, but was recovered the next morning, and all meat was salvaged.
View attachment 418408

156 EOL @ 2940, 910 yards, 1 shot. She stumbled 10 yards after impact and then went down hard. No exit, but also no tracking. Another rushed one, no good video.
View attachment 418409

156 EOL @ 2940, 890 yards, 1 shot, high shoulder, 3-4" under spine. At impact she dropped in her tracks, and slid about 100 yards down the hillside until she stuffed up under the log as she is in this photo. Again, no video. Bullet exited.
View attachment 418410

They kill just fine, as long as you use the right bullet for the job, and place your shots appropriately. I personally liked the Bergers when I was using my .260ai for elk, however I also haven't shot an elk under 590 yards in 8 years, and my average elk harvest is nearly 800 yards. The fragmenting bullets, while they didn't always exit, always did immense damage. If I was consistently shooting them closer though, I would look at a different bullet.

With that being said, my current elk rifle is a 20" 30 nosler (208 berger @2935), and my wife's rifle I built her for an all around Wyomimg pronghorn, deer and elk rifle, is a 20" 7 max (170 PVA Cayuga @ 2840), and that was as small as I wanted to go, mainly due to the extended ranges we tend to harvest our elk at. My cousin and his wife though, have used their .270 Sherman's shooting 140 badlands bulldozers at 3240 and 3030 respectively, to take a total of 8 elk, from 90 yards to 700, all only requiring 1 shot I believe.

Wow y'all got some really white sand where you live!!!

Where I live in E-central WY, wind is always present. It is also far from being consistent. In this hilly country it can be blowing one direction where you are standing and gusting the other way down range. While i really enjoy shooting long range at steel swingers and plastic jugs full of water, I simply am not sure enough in the environment I've just described to shoot at a prize game animal with any rifle at 1000 yards.

Where I live in E-central WY, wind is always present. It is also far from being consistent. In this hilly country it can be blowing one direction where you are standing and gusting the other way down range. While i really enjoy shooting long range at steel swingers and plastic jugs full of water, I simply am not sure enough in the environment I've just described to shoot at a prize game animal with any rifle at 1000 yards.
Well, if there is any truth behind your name, than I suppose your making the right choice..... 😆

All in the name of good fun....lol

Don't you know the 6.5 Creedmoor kills, any elk at 1,000 yds with any bullet. :p
Don't you know the 6.5 Creedmoor kills, any elk at 1,000 yds with any bullet. :p
1000 yards should be the minimum for the Creedmoor ! They are just getting going at 1000.
Inside side 1000 you'll be lucky to have any meat left .

Hahaha I'd imagine a 26 Nosler with a longer barrel could get them well over 3500fps though
I'm gonna try those 124's in a 6.5x300, not sure what it will be capable of but should be over 3500 fps, hoping for a little more though. Factory Weatherby rounds in 127 Barnes claim 3531 on the box but my magnetospeed showed slightly under 3500 in a 26" Vanguard that is not fully broken in yet.