Actions… what to do?

GetReel

I will be putting together a 30 Nosler and I have 2 options. Either rebarrel my Christensen rifle or sell rifle and build ground up.
Am I leaving anything on the table (accuracy) by rebarreling and using the Christensen action?

For you, is everything other than caliber perfect for your rifle? If not than what will it cost you to get it perfect? (Trigger, stock, bottom metal, etc) if it isn't perfect then sell it, if it is perfect then re barrel it. But if you want me to spend your money, then I'd sell it and buy a ARC coupe de grace

Your budget will likely determine your best course. You'll probably save about $1K with the Christensen action. I built my custom on a trued SS M70 action/bolt face from 2001 because I love M70. The Bartlein #4 CFW 5R mounted to it put two 210 ABLR through the same hole in early load development. Velocity was sub 2800, so I'm still working load development.

Enjoy the journey!

For you, is everything other than caliber perfect for your rifle? If not than what will it cost you to get it perfect? (Trigger, stock, bottom metal, etc) if it isn't perfect then sell it, if it is perfect then re barrel it. But if you want me to spend your money, then I'd sell it and buy a ARC coupe de grace
I've been looking at the ARC CDG and it looks very interesting. How does it work with a hinged floor plate? I read it was worked for an AICS mag?
But it seems to have a lot going for it but a little bit more weight

I've been looking at the ARC CDG and it looks very interesting. How does it work with a hinged floor plate? I read it was worked for an AICS mag?
But it seems to have a lot going for it but a little bit more weight
I don't have one ...yet. for me I would have to figure out if I would want to go that direction or just buy another Zermatt

I will be putting together a 30 Nosler and I have 2 options. Either rebarrel my Christensen rifle or sell rifle and build ground up.
Am I leaving anything on the table (accuracy) by rebarreling and using the Christensen action?

It depends on what you want to use the new rifle for and what your expectations and abilities are. No rifle or ammunition is going to turn you into a super star hunter without your ability and lots of practice. Examine what it is that you need and want to accomplish your goals. Be realistic.

The Christensen Arms receiver is a basic run-of-the-mill Remington 700 design like a dozen others. This doesn't make it a bad choice, it's just not a more top-of-the-line refined action. If you're looking for an improvement overall, a rifle to keep for a while, I'd look at the Borden or BAT actions especially after a short talk with Jim Borden. Do your homework first then do some soul searching for what really makes sense. Build what you want not just a rifle to be a stand in.

The barrel choice gets complicated today as there are more than the top 3 manufacturers which make decent quality barrels. It pays to shop around and discuss this with your gunsmith. I have and will continue to use Bartlein barrels hands down, although there are a couple of others which might suffice. Krieger still builds good barrels.

Stocks can be tricky based on how they really fit you and your wardrobe. The traditional generic 13-1/2" LOP is not necessarily the best fit for everyone. Adjustable cheek pieces are great to get just the right height for your scope position but they add weight. Check with your gunsmith to see what he has in stock first. Try them out with hunting apparel for fit.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Here is what I currently have, it started as a Christensen ELR 300WM. I've replaced the stock to an AG Chaulk Branch and HS bottom metal (bought on here).
I have a Bartlein M24 spiral fluted 9T (to be finished at 22" to be shot suppressed) I ordered awhile ago to replace this 26" 10T.

I just am trying to figure out if with this setup I can have adequate 1000yrd steel/hunting setup.
IMG_8130.jpeg

Cartridge and barrel length I think you will be fine, action and bolt would be easy to check while your GS it apart. If your GS does his part and you do yours it should be all good. I would give some thought to resell value, the odds are slim to be able to sell your modified CA rifle for close to what you will have in it versus doing a full custom. Just food for thought

I was in the same situation a couple years ago. I ended up having a custom 30 Nos. built on a BAT Vampire action with a Bartlein carbon barrel. I it a much better rifle than the Christensen.
I also was in this situation.
I had a Christensen that made me fall in love with long range shooting.
It had a HS stock and a TT diamond; it had a lot of rounds down the barrel and was getting long in the tooth so to speak.
I ended up keeping the factory stock, brake, trigger, all that I had changed on the Christensen to really make me love it. I had ordered a steel HV Bartlein and was just going to re barrel it.

But...

It had the scope base come loose on that action several times, and I thought why put any money into, so I just put it all back together as it came from the factory, sold the Christensen for a good deal (to the buyer), used the money and bought a Kelbly Nanook action and used all the other parts I had on the Christensen along with the new action, chambered it in 300 wm with the rm reamer.

I really love the rifle with no regrets about changing the action in the beginning and feel like now it was one of my better decisions. It too is a much better rifle than the Christensen.

Only you can decide how you wish to proceed.

Keep us posted.

Good Luck!
nook rifle pic.PNG
target nook 2.jpg