What to do

jbo829

I currently have a browning abolt white gold medallion chambered in a 325wsm the gun is to light and the recoil is harsh

So I been pondering on the idea of do I sell the rifle and buy a donor action to build a lighter recoiling rifle
Or
Do I just rebarrel this one
The new rifle will be a around a short action and and hunting white tails and a coyote here and there

The 3 i been thing about would be a
25 sst
7ss
7ss max

I currently have a browning abolt white gold medallion chambered in a 325wsm the gun is to light and the recoil is harsh

So I been pondering on the idea of do I sell the rifle and buy a donor action to build a lighter recoiling rifle
Or
Do I just rebarrel this one
The new rifle will be a around a short action and and hunting white tails and a coyote here and there

The 3 i been thing about would be a
25 sst
7ss
7ss max

A muzzle brake ought to help get the recoil under control. I have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun it too is a light rifle, kicks like two mules on steroids when that trigger is pulled. The rifle "does" have a muzzle brake on it from the factory. I fit a KickEez recoil pad onto the rifle, it made a big difference in the recoil. If you start rebarreling I would suggest keeping the budget in mind; "rebarrel vs purchase new"? I didn't read the/what DISTANCES that you intend to hunt at. If you are recoil sensitive, I hate to write or suggest this (can't believe that I did!!), but............the 6.5 Creedmore or any of the cartridges along that caliber line ought to work just fine for deer and coyote hunting; a .308 Winchester ought to be a good cartridge too. Any of the "WSM" or SAUM cartridges ought to work well for the short action and the game that you intend to use it for. Something that I would like to bring up if considering the large capacity WSMs and SAUM cartridges is that it is important to remember, when concerned about recoil, is that powder>=weight>=recoil. The more powder a case holds the more the recoil; oftentimes powder charge is overlooked and not taken into account when concerned about recoil.

Already have a 6.5 in a tikka t3x Lite my main hunting rig is a .280rem
The browning is a beautiful gun but the reason is the recoil local Smith said barrel is to skinny to thread for a muzzle break and won't touch It since I had him thread a 300wsm and the muzzle break blew off first shot and he replaced my barrel

What is the dia. of your barrel
Intended use if you rebarrel?
What is the max internal mag box length on your Browning?

Last edited:
Already have a 6.5 in a tikka t3x Lite my main hunting rig is a .280rem
The browning is a beautiful gun but the reason is the recoil local Smith said barrel is to skinny to thread for a muzzle break and won't touch It since I had him thread a 300wsm and the muzzle break blew off first shot and he replaced my barrel

I'm thinking that from what you have written here, you have the bases "really" covered for hunting deer and coyotes. Both of the cartridges have the bases covered for either species. Maybe........it's simply just time for a "new" rifle in a new chambering;):rolleyes:???

What is the dia. of your barrel
Intended use if you rebarrel?
What is the max internal mag box length on your Browning?
I would have to measure it when I get home
The intended use would be just another gun for whitetails and coyotes don't really have anything bigger here in the mountains of East Tennessee

As Sherm says, check your mag box length. It sounds like the barrel may be too light for a brake.
Of the 3 chamberings you mentioned, the 25 sst will run at 2.860, will have the lightest recoil, and is more than capable of killing anything, at any distance, in your area. Even a 22" barrel would run a 131 at 3150+ and you could add a brake if you wanted to for very mild recoil in say a 4 contour barrel. This would make a nice compact carry rifle
The 7ss will run just over 2.9" mag length if you want a little larger bore with a lot more bullet selection. Recoil of course would be more but you could also build it with a 22" barrel and brake it. Max velocity would around 2875' with a 180 in that length or for what you're doing, you could run 140's and be just fine.
The 7 Max really needs about 3.1" length to gain full capability with the long bullets and of course recoil would increase recoil slightly over the SS.
Where are you in E. Tn.? I have a brother and sister down there.

As Sherm says, check your mag box length. It sounds like the barrel may be too light for a brake.
Of the 3 chamberings you mentioned, the 25 sst will run at 2.860, will have the lightest recoil, and is more than capable of killing anything, at any distance, in your area. Even a 22" barrel would run a 131 at 3150+ and you could add a brake if you wanted to for very mild recoil in say a 4 contour barrel. This would make a nice compact carry rifle
The 7ss will run just over 2.9" mag length if you want a little larger bore with a lot more bullet selection. Recoil of course would be more but you could also build it with a 22" barrel and brake it. Max velocity would around 2875' with a 180 in that length or for what you're doing, you could run 140's and be just fine.
The 7 Max really needs about 3.1" length to gain full capability with the long bullets and of course recoil would increase recoil slightly over the SS.
Where are you in E. Tn.? I have a brother and sister down there.
I live in the Tri cities area and I load 162 Amax In my 280 so the 7ss would also get those until I run out to switch to the Bergers as I am a fan of the 7mm bore but since I been reading on your designs for awhile now the 25 sst with the new blackjack bullet caught my eye I would have the gun built by vestals which he carries your reamers i believe

I will pm you rich if I decide to go with the 25 and I'll talk to Robert as well if we need to go that route

If you like the rifle and stock I would rebarrel to the 25.

I don't like loudeners

This is the rifle on the chopping block love the stock it already has some bedding compound on the recoil lug
from browning

Attachments

• FE28D462-C8F0-4C16-BE7A-044E7C4CBB54.jpeg
    FE28D462-C8F0-4C16-BE7A-044E7C4CBB54.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 198