Actions - What do you use?

mooredj

I figure this community might trend a little different than other long range communities as this one relates to hunting and maybe not dedicated long range shooting. What actions do you like? Tikka, Remington 700, Howa or customs? You will probably find it funny but I am shooting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just dropped it into a Oryx chassis with the stock barrel. We will see how it performs. My friend who used to be a PRS shooter swears that you can't go wrong with a Tikka for the money and is what he sets up for builds for hunting rigs out to 600 yards or so for guys that come to him.

At some point soon I will want to built better so that is the reason for the inquiry.

David

Last edited:
I prefer customs, Defiance for hunting and zermatt/bighorn for varmint or bench guns. If doing a factory rifle into a semi custom, I prefer Savage. I hear Tikka is great, only one I have dealt with wasn't great. I am sure it was an exception tho. I hear only good about Tikka so I am sure the one I dealt with was just a dud.

Tikka action's are one of the smoothest factory action's out there.
I shoot LH, so most of my factory actions are Savage since I have always been able to find them for good prices, and fairly easy. I also have four Custom action's, a Shilen DGR, and three American Rifle Co. - Nucleus Gen 1 & Gen 2, and an Archimedes.
After owning custom action's, I doubt I'll ever buy another factory action. They are worth the extra expense!

I figure this community might trend a little different than other long range communities as this one relates to hunting and maybe not dedicated long range shooting. What actions do you like? Tikka, Remington 700, Howa or customs? You will probably find it funny but I am shooting a T/C Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just dropped it into a Oryx chassis with the stock barrel. We will see how it performs. My friend who used to be a PRS shooter swears that you can't go wrong with a Tikka for the money and is what he sets up for builds for guys that come to him.

David
I use a Zermatt Origin on my hunting gun and a Shilen DGR on my match gun. I really like them both, but if forced to choose, I'd probably go with the Origin.

John

Zermatt/Bighorn TL3 and Origin. I am hard pressed to buy an over the counter bolt gun unless it is really something special or unique as a whole package. I know there are other great custom actions out there but I have had exactly zero issues with mine so I am reluctant to try anything else.

I generally prefer a claw extractor, blade ejector and a 3 position safety. Simple, fool proof. However, my go to bear rifle is a Remington 600 Magnum in .350RM. My go to elk, deer and goat rifle is a Weatherby Mk Backcountry in 6.5 RPM. Both are push feeds with pill ejectors, clip extractors and 2 position safeties. The antithesis of CRF. But, they are accurate and have proven reliable. No design or manufacturer has the market cornered on those magic properties.

I generally prefer a claw extractor, blade ejector and a 3 position safety. Simple, fool proof. However, my go to bear rifle is a Remington 600 Magnum in .350RM. My go to elk, deer and goat rifle is a Weatherby Mk Backcountry in 6.5 RPM. Both are push feeds with pill ejectors, clip extractors and 2 position safeties. The antithesis of CRF. But, they are accurate and have proven reliable. No design or manufacturer has the market cornered on those magic properties.
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I will keep this in mind.

As a fan of CRF this somewhat limits my action choices so all of my customs are American Rifle Company. I have two LA Mausingfield, both open top hunting rifle and closed top heavy target rifle in .300 Win Mag along with a SA Gen 1 Nucleus with a heavy barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor and an Archimedes with an 18" 6.5 PRC barrel in an MDT HNT26 chassis. I also have several extra barrels that I can switch around such as my smokeless muzzleloader and a .223 for practice.

Gonna say that once I got into the custom realm outside of historical rifles like the 1903 Springfield and the Model 70 I just don't have much interest in standard factory bolt guns anymore.