Acraglass Kit VS. Miles Gilbert Kit

Ramses II

I'm a first time DIY glass bed guy. I've heard great things about Acraglass and great things about the Miles Gilbert kit, especially about the great instuctions. What are your experiences?

Ramses II

I'll second what 257speed says! Probed 2000 is an excellent product, and it has directions that the beginner can easily understand. Good Shootin'

Thanks for the link, guys. I might even try to glass my old 700!! Man, I'm paranoid though!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Are the instructions that come with the stuff real good? Like, a kindergarten kid could do it type deal?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

How much product to do one 700 action??

Sorry to high jack your thread....sakofan....

The instructions are very good, you will have no problem. Even the small kit has enough to do several rifles. One of the mistakes most people make the first time is mixing up more than you need. The release agent he sends is awesome, as it is a true mold release as opposed to the wax that comes with others. Another cool trick, that I actually learned from Charley Robertson, creator of Pro Bed, is to buy some 20 mil plumbers tape (looks like 2"wide electric tape) and lay a couple of strips (two or three thick) along the bottom of your barrel. after you bed it, remove the strips of mil tape and instant free float, very consistant.

The 10, or even 20 mil plumbers tape is also easily stretched around contours with no wrinkles. Makes for a real clean looking bedding job. Get the 2" wide stuff.

Devcon is the best ive used so far and ive used several.
acraglass , steel bed, marine tex, belzona etc.
black boot polish is also the best release agent ive tried.
Pete

Ive used the release agent that comes with the accraglass on many bedding jobs. Now some one put me on to using boot polish and i though they where pulling my leg, but the stuff realy works well, its available every where. Stay away from the spray on release agents, unless they give a visible "skin" like barrier to whatever you are trying to bed.block off all nooks and crannies with plastecine or modeling clay. don't forget to put release agent on the screws.
Pete

The release agent with the acraglass kit is polyvinyl alcohol. a.k.a. PVA. It works well and is water soluable, beleive it or not. any form of petro wax will work also, as long as you have a few extra coats. I like to use Turtle wax with the "gel" acraglass kit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.