Boyds and Acraglass

grit

Boyds stock-
I just purchased a thumbhole stock from boyds. The stock was virtual inletted. The stock required a little fitting: trigger gaurd mortise was too shallow. I had to remove some material from the front of the recoil lug recess, where the corers weren't square. I also had to open the barrel channel a bit at the forend.

The stock required finish sanding, 120 then 220. I finished the stock with a sealer and six coats of exterior polyeurethane. The stock looks great.

The safety is difficult to flip. Why isn't the safety on the **** trigger gaurd /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif?

My opinion: This is a very nice stock, requiring little work, and a fantastic value.

Acra glass gel-
I just bedded the barreled action in above stock. I found the gel easy to use. It mixed well, stayed where I put it, and made very little mess. I also used it to fix a cracked stock on a very cool remington 34. As everything is still setting up, I don't know how the release agent works....

I thought it a bit expensive for the quantity. There is enough for another rifle. I will bed a synthetic stock tomorrow. I will post results.

The stock is for a sporter weight (not any more) winchester 70. I got the Ross.

I took the action out a while ago. The bedding job turned out very nice. A tense moment or two trying to break things loose. I left the magzine in to make a dam for the bedding. When I put things together I scraped a little glass into the magazine. The magazine was glued in. Fortunately it was minnimal, and broke loose with a rap from the mallet. No trouble cleaning the finished product. Now I can't shoot it for two and a half days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I bedded the synthetic stock this morning. I doubled the recommended quantity of bedding. The forend on this stock is skeletonized. I put three lengths of carbon arrow shafts in to stiffen things up. The void I had to fill in front of the recoil lug was huge. Will the bedding shrink or crack in such a large space? There is enough gel left to touch things up later if required.

Grit
I am not the expert on bedding. I am like you. Always worried whether I can get it loose. I do some small amount of work with fiber glass. Which is about the same thing. Me and my son have been repairing the spare tire carrier on a vette for the last three days. Is is often better to lay up some and let it cure a day and then lay up some more and not try to get too thick a layer all at once.

Anyway I am glad everything is working out for you. I guess it will be August or September before my gun is ready. I am having the gunsmith pillar bed it, so there is only the outside work to be done by me. It is the thumbhole varminter.

Just a thought on the seven layers of poly you put on it. On a car too many layers will lead to checking where there is flex. Poly is a little more flexible and a gunstock is more rigid so you should be OK.

I just finished the synthetic stock. I am very pleased with the results on both stocks. The bedding in the synthetic is a little more uniform, as my skills improved just a bit at guessing how much, and where. While the synthetic stock didn't stiffen as much as I'd hoped, I don't believe I could make the forend touch the barrel accidentally any more. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The bedding seems to be adhering to the synthetic well. I roughened all surfaces to be bedded. I also drilled small holes, and cut small undercuts.

There is no checking in the bedding compound anywhere. Nor do I believe any will develop.

The stock is a bit heavier. However, I didn't add as much weight as I'd expected, considering the amount of bedding I used.

I'm very happy with the results. I accomplished my goals. Time will tell how well the bedding holds up in the synthetic stock. Both rifles feel much better. And I no longer have to worry about the synthetic throwing a shot off.
Hope this post has helped someone. I got a lot of advice from this forum. Best forum there is!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts