Best Cleaning Kit/Method

Stanm70

I was wondering if the OTIS Elite cleaning system is a solid method or not for a long range rig as well as shotguns and pistols. Are there better methods? and what would you recomend?

Thanks,
Connor

After years of trying multiple different solvents and approaches I have found that Boretech CU+2, nylon brush/Jag works very well in eliminating carbon and copper quickly. Final coat of Montana Bore Conditioner for barrel snd chamber/bolt when done cleaning. I use a Dewey nylon coated rod and bore guide.before shooting I run a couple of dry patches down the bore and chamber. iMO.

I'll use the Otis system in the field or at the range, but IMO it is not the easiest/most effective for cleaning on the gun bench.

I have a cheap gun vise, and always use a bore guide. I couldn't tell you what rod I have (one-piece), but I use the tipton nickel coated jags and they work well. I typically run wet patches (Butch's solvent) until they show clean, and then run a loose wet patch and let it sit for a bit. Come back, patch it out dry and clean, chase it with FP-10 and call it good. Seems to work for me, but everyone has their own method.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.