Best Cleaning Kit/Method

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by Stanm70, May 13, 2013.

1. Stanm70

Stanm70 Well-Known Member

I was wondering if the OTIS Elite cleaning system is a solid method or not for a long range rig as well as shotguns and pistols. Are there better methods? and what would you recomend?

Thanks,
    Connor

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

After years of trying multiple different solvents and approaches I have found that Boretech CU+2, nylon brush/Jag works very well in eliminating carbon and copper quickly. Final coat of Montana Bore Conditioner for barrel snd chamber/bolt when done cleaning. I use a Dewey nylon coated rod and bore guide.before shooting I run a couple of dry patches down the bore and chamber. iMO.

3. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

I'll use the Otis system in the field or at the range, but IMO it is not the easiest/most effective for cleaning on the gun bench.

I have a cheap gun vise, and always use a bore guide. I couldn't tell you what rod I have (one-piece), but I use the tipton nickel coated jags and they work well. I typically run wet patches (Butch's solvent) until they show clean, and then run a loose wet patch and let it sit for a bit. Come back, patch it out dry and clean, chase it with FP-10 and call it good. Seems to work for me, but everyone has their own method.