Bore-Cleaning Products and Methods -- Online Review

Yo

Guys, you may want to check out this How to Guide/Gear Review for barrel cleaning. They talk about the latest stuff, like Wipe-out, Wipe-Out Accelerator, Bore-Tech Eliminator, MT Extreme 50BMG solvent. Clean faster and safer. And Tim North, a Top Barrel-maker, explains how to get your barrel clean without reducing barrel life or harming the innards.

Very up to date, very comprehensive. All I can say it 90% of the people at the range are spending way more time than they have to, and not doing their barrels any favors.

Bore Cleaning Methods and Products

Pretty much follow Tim North's advice, but I like the new Montana Extreme 50 BMG solvent.

At the IBS Nationals this year, I took my HG to Tim to have him check it with his borescope on video. It had 2200 300WSM rounds down the tube at the time. I had just cleaned it and it still showed lots of copper. I went back and used the 50 BMG that ME was handing out and could not believe the "Blue gunk" rolling out the end of the barrel.

Bottom line is 15 minutes later, the bore was devoid of any copper and I could confirm that I needed a new barrel as I no longer had a throat.

Hmm maybe that is why I had to seat the bullets out about .080 from where we originally started. Old barrel still took 5 in score and 9th overall.

BH

BH, Do you have a contact to the manufacturer,as my 30 cal with the 187 BIBS fouls quite badly,it would be great to shorten the copper removal time..I will check with them to see if they have an Australian agent..JR..Jeff Rogers.................................................................................[ QUOTE ]
Pretty much follow Tim North's advice, but I like the new Montana Extreme 50 BMG solvent.

At the IBS Nationals this year, I took my HG to Tim to have him check it with his borescope on video. It had 2200 300WSM rounds down the tube at the time. I had just cleaned it and it still showed lots of copper. I went back and used the 50 BMG that ME was handing out and could not believe the "Blue gunk" rolling out the end of the barrel.

Bottom line is 15 minutes later, the bore was devoid of any copper and I could confirm that I needed a new barrel as I no longer had a throat.

Hmm maybe that is why I had to seat the bullets out about .080 from where we originally started. Old barrel still took 5 in score and 9th overall.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

Bounty,
You might be interested to hear that Western Powders (Ramshot etc.) has just announced the acquisition of Montana Extreme.
You learn sumthin every day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Here is the announcement.

MILES CITY, MONTANA – Western Powders, Inc. announces the acquisition of Montana X-Treme gun care products

We're pleased to announce that effective January 10, 2005 that Western Powders, Inc. has acquired the Montana X-Treme brand of gun care products. "Montana X-Treme is an outstanding gun care line. I was first introduced to Montana X-Treme two years ago when our ballistics lab requested that Western utilize only Montana X-Treme cleaners and solvents. That is a huge endorsement considering our ballistics lab shoots between 600 and 900 rounds per day and to maintain stringent testing conditions the barrels are cleaned after every 30 rounds. Cleaning and gun care for these guys is not a hobby – it's a job and Montana X-Treme products have made their job much easier," said Doug Phair President of Western Powders, Inc. "We are impressed with the quality of products comprising the Montana X-Treme line and our focus over the next several months will be to market Montana X-Treme products to our dealer network and provide the shooting public with information regarding the many benefits and advantages that Montana X-Treme products provide.".

Phair added, "We have no plans to change the manufacturing of any of the products comprising the Montana X-Treme line. We are very excited about the potential for market growth and will be focusing our attention on improving distribution and availability of the Montana X-Treme line throughout North America and Europe.".

All sales and marketing operations involving Montana X-Treme gun care products have been moved to Miles City, Montana and no disruption in service is anticipated. Further information regarding Montana X-Treme products can be obtained by calling Western Powders, Inc. at 406-232-0422 or on the web at www.montanaxtreme.com.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.