Accuracy of .338 or .378 RUM in a Remington 700 XCR??

MyTargets

I have been seriously considering a purchase of a .338 Remington Ultra Mag or a .378 Remington Ultra Mag in a Remington 700 XCR. Any comments on the inherent accuracy of these calibers or caliber/rifle combination would be greatly appreciated.

My intended use would be large bears and long-range bull elk. I am a pretty well practiced hand loader and am willing to work up good loads but I would prefer to avoid a caliber that is inherently "picky" about an accurate load.

I also considered the .340 or .378 Wby in the Mark 5 but am leaning toward the 700 XCR because of the good value there seems to be for about 800 bucks.

Thanks again for you thoughts and observations!

Dean
MyTargets.com
I

Neither the 375 or 338 are "picky" they are actually VERY easy to load for. Brass is pretty scarce for the 375 but is pretty impressive to shoot. Even if you dont hunt with it. It is fun to hand to someone new to shoot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dont have any experience with the weatherbys except for 300 and 257 but brass is too expensive and hard to come by as well as being over rated speedwise. The 375 Ultra will far surpass most advertised claims where the WBY usually falls short.

Jason

Ditto what the above guys say. Plus, I can't see why a 338 RUM shooting a 300gr bullet faster than a 375 H&H can shoot a 300gr bullet wouldn't work on big bears. And the 338RUM is a good LRH deer/bou/elk or anything else cartridge. I wouldn't go less than a 26" barrel though.

Plus, ya just gotta love shoveling all that powder into that case. Makes ya feel kind of macho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif............and broke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Was in AK twice last year. My guide carried a 338 RUM, his son a 375 RUM, I had a 375 H&H. Don't think the bears know the difference.
Looking back, probably a 340-338 RUM is the way to go.

I handloaded for a buddy's 375 Rum Rem 700.

270 Barnes TSX at 2990 fps and under .75" groups at 100 yards with IMR 7828.

You will notice it when you shoot it!

I'll have to chime in also on the 338RUM. Mine with handloads will shoot right with my heavy barrel 22-250! You gotta love a big boomer that shoots tiny groups. Serious long range medicine!

I have some pretty intimate experience with the .338 XCR II and here is what I have found. Its a great basis for making a great mountain rifle out of and here is what I did.
1. Received rifle a year and a half ago and took it directly to Gentry to have a quiet brake put on. I chose this because I was building a hunting rifle. Works perfectly as advertised.

2. attached a 6-24 Pentax Lightseeker 30 (Burris Euro Diamond)

3. Took one shot with old stock and threw it in the trash! Had to wear a ski vest to shoot the gun even with the brake! BAD! I am 5'10 220lb athletic and it was like getting hit with a baseball bat in the shoulder and face!

4. Purchased a Bell and Carlson Carbelite stock. This made the rifle instantly feel like a rifle and not a battering ram!

5. Threw the crappy trigger in the trash and put an old 700 trigger on it that is tuned up at 2.75lbs Nice! They don't make triggers like that anymore!

5. 95.7gr H1000 now provides .75" groups at 100yd with 225gr Hornady interbonds and the rifle kicks like a 300wm or maybe even closer to a 30-06 and just has a great feel to it with the BC stock!

I can say I finally LOVE this rifle. I have taken one bull elk, one black bear and one coyote with the rifle in the last year. Longest shot was the coyote at 348yds facing me. The poor dog turned the snow red for 35yds behind him and had almost no a** left!
The bull went down in 1 step with a lung shot and the bullet exited the other side with a quarter size hole.
The exact same was present on the black bear. I am now a Hornady Interbond fan as well.
My 4 year old son and I will be headed back out today looking for another black bear!
Yes, buy the gun but expect to do some work to make her perform:>

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.