Remington 700 XCR II 338 Remington Ultra Mag

WarKitty

I just picked up my 338 RUM from the FFL. For those that are interested, here are my first impressions. I have been looking and looking so this day has been long coming. I even bought a 300 RUM thinking after giving up the search for the 338 RUM.

The rifle seems light maybe too light for this cartridge. If I were to shoot it just like this it would probably knock me on to my cute little butt. 5'7 121 lbs

The bolt is what one would expect from a 700 its smooth but there is room for improvement... my gunsmith will be in charge of that.

The trigger is awesome. I don't have a tool to test but I doubt I need it any lighter, breaks like glass.

It has a 26" stainless steel barrel and receiver with the black Trinyte anti corrosion coating. It looks rugged and elegant at the same time. I am a little disappointed that the barrel is not a heavy barrel. In fact, sitting it side by side with the 300 RUM Long Range 700 with the Heavy Varmint Barrel and B&C stock the difference is quite striking. The 300 is just beefier all the way around.

The stock isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I have seen worse out there. It comes with the SuperCell recoil pad. The Hogue grips feel comfortable. Nothing to get excited about with the stock but nothing to be too disappointed with either.

Overall, you will get what you would expect from a Remington 700 and the XMP trigger, you simply can't go wrong here no matter who your favorite manufacturer is. The gun is sleek and light (maybe a little too light for the caliber) but sexy nonetheless. Not having shot it yet and despite its length I am guessing this would make an ideal mountain gun.

I think I paid $841 with shipping and I have a feeling it will be well worth it. I do wish the barrel was a heavy barrel. Without shooting it yet I believe that will be my only complaint.

Now, where can I get some brass???? gun)lightbulb

I have a XCR -11, 338 ultra ,shoots really good with berger 250's has no brake and kick is pretty stout. Nice rifle I just think they should come with a better stock for the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts