Remington XCR II. 257 Weath Mag

lovec_1

I'm looking for advice.

I have the option to buy a new Remington XCR II 257 Weatherby Magnum (RMEF Edition). But I do not like their factory stock very much, I think it's a little bit soft and with no bedding block. I have free Sendero factory stock, do you think it's a good idea to use this instead of factory stock?

It should be relatively light rifle for stalking and hunting in mountains.
Any input appreaciated. Thx.

If you don't like the stock, and want a 700 in 257, I'd buy a CDL for $100 less as a starting point.

If you buy the XCR I'd at least shoot it first in the original stock, as I think it will be lighter and thinner than the Sendero stock.

I'm looking for advice.

I have the option to buy a new Remington XCR II 257 Weatherby Magnum (RMEF Edition). But I do not like their factory stock very much, I think it's a little bit soft and with no bedding block. I have free Sendero factory stock, do you think it's a good idea to use this instead of factory stock?

It should be relatively light rifle for stalking and hunting in mountains.
Any input appreaciated. Thx.

If you have a free HS Precision stock off a Sendero, and you like the way the Sendero stock feels...Go for it. Bed the action with DevCon and float the barrel. With the Sendero stock, torque your action screws to 65 inch-pounds with a proper torque wrench.

A Timney trigger swap would also be a good upgrade of the stock XMP trigger.

Thx guys.
You know, there are not many option here in Europe to buy factory rifle in 257 Weatherby. Now I have these three choices: Remington XCR II, Weatherby Vanguard and exchangeable barrel for my Blaser R8.

- Remington has 26" barrel and I Like their TriNyte finish on stainless rifles. But. Stock has no bedding and also the factory trigger is no miracle (I would replace it for Jewell)

- Weatherby Vanguard Wilderness (in-stock here) has shorter barrel and a bit small pistol grip. But. It has aluminium bedding block, stiff stock and maybe better trigger than Remington. I am not sure if the 24" barrel is ideal when I want the full power of 257 Wby round? Is the Vanguard better than "normal" Howa?

- exchangeable barrel for my Blaser R8. At least concerns. Enough long, just plug & play. But. I would like buy a new, light rifle for mountain hunts

Again, any input is welcome.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.