.257 Weatherby Mag

Had mine since 2008....Got a Weatherby Accumark in .257 Wby. It shoots the 110 NAB's and Berger 115 VLD's great. I use it for whitetails and coyotes.

As little meat as it ruins, with the monolithic and bonded bullets, it makes the ultimate whitetail round for shooting does, because of how much meat you save. If I'm shooting Bullwinkle during Rut, I'm really not concerned about terminal carnage. I'm more worried about getting him on the ground and to the taxidermist, so during late December & January, I usually carry my 7mm RemMag. Not that I don't trust my .257 to do the job, just that when I'm hunting for horns it makes me more nervous to shoot a biggin with a smaller caliber, when I have larger calibers (7mm) sitting in the stable...

I don't buy guns then sell them....I buy guns to keep for life. I love my 7mm calibers, but the .257 Wby has become of my favorites. I think if I build another 1/4-bore (to have 2 of them) it will be a .25-06 AI. The .257 calibers & 7mm calibers are like Lays chips....You can't have just 1. :D

Had mine since 2008....Got a Weatherby Accumark in .257 Wby. It shoots the 110 NAB's and Berger 115 VLD's great. I use it for whitetails and coyotes.

As little meat as it ruins, with the monolithic and bonded bullets, it makes the ultimate whitetail round for shooting does, because of how much meat you save. If I'm shooting Bullwinkle during Rut, I'm really not concerned about terminal carnage. I'm more worried about getting him on the ground and to the taxidermist, so during late December & January, I usually carry my 7mm RemMag. Not that I don't trust my .257 to do the job, just that when I'm hunting for horns it makes me more nervous to shoot a biggin with a smaller caliber, when I have larger calibers (7mm) sitting in the stable...

I don't buy guns then sell them....I buy guns to keep for life. I love my 7mm calibers, but the .257 Wby has become of my favorites. I think if I build another 1/4-bore (to have 2 of them) it will be a .25-06 AI. The .257 calibers & 7mm calibers are like Lays chips....You can't have just 1. :D

Okie Doke! I decided against having my 7m-08 built when a few told me it wasnt going to be as powerful as I wished..?? I called my smith and talked things over with him and decided that the 25-06AI that I have ( and IMHO is SUCH a PITA to reload for) that we would rechamber it fot...? ".257 WeatherbY...and that changing bolt heads isnt that much of a big deal. Simple rechamber and i keep the wonderful Brux barrel.
So we shall see..??

My present 25-06 is on an all stainless M700 action

I have 2 stainless jeweled 700 LA rifles sitting around the safe, one is a standard folt face, the other a magnum...The standard is a mock-up build I was going to do my .280 AI build on. The other is the .338 WM I have that won't hit the same hole, before lightning strikes twice in the same place... Highly unimpressed with the caliber and the groups.

I was hoping to do my .280 AI build, and rebarrel the .338 with a .257 Wby lightweight barrel, for stalk-hunting, since my Accumark is a tad on the hefty and bulky side for carrying around the woods.

HOWEVER, since I have been doing more 1/4-bore research I am wanting to build a .25-06 AI, as well as a .280 AI...But I only have 1 standard bolt. Guess I'll be having my smith pin my recoil lug, and make my 700 a switch-barrel setup for both the AI's...

What will you be doing with your .25-06 AI brass & dies?

What will you be doing with your .25-06 AI brass & dies?

The AI thingy is just more PITA than I want to put up with right now. No dies...2 boxes of once fired brass that I fire formed....another box of live rounds of straight 25-06. Thats the sum total.

I normally wait till the smith tells me a gun is done and he is shipping it to order up all the brass and such I need

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.