338 Edge VS. 338 Remington Ultra Mag.

shooter981

I want to build a ultra-long range hunting rifle in 338. It will be built on a Remington 700 action and be pushing 300 gr. SMK's until Berger releases theirs. What are the performance differences between the two and could i go even bigger with the 700 action? Pretty sure I'm limited in size with the 700 action. Is all the extra work worth it with the Edge in terms of forming brass, etc, when compard to the 338 RUM? For the barrel, I'm looking at a 1.250 taper to .900 at the muzzle, unless you think i could go thinner and still maintain accuracy. What about length? Kind of settled on 32", finished. Any real velocity gain with a 34"? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

First off, I don't own either, so take that for what it's worth. Niether of the two gunsmiths that I use will build a Lapua or larger with the Rem action. "Safty issues". I know that there are a bunch of guys on this site who have Remingtons chambered in the Lapua, so go figure.

Now, if it is between the Rum or the Edge, I would go with the Edge. I don't think that the brass prep is that big of a deal, from what I have read here. I think they are talking an extra 150+ FPS over the standard Rum. Very accurate!!!

You guys with some expierance should give us your thoughts.

What if one was going to use a 26" barrel? Would the edge's advantage still be there. All other things equal, I doubt the edge has a 150 fps advantage over the 338rum. Repeat - all other things equal. There just is not that much more capacity increase.

My one remaining concern with going with the Edge is reloading data, or the lack thereof. Is this justified?

My understanding is, use 300rum brass, use 300rum headspace gage, use 338rum dies, and adjust the die setting accordingly. Is this true???

What if one was going to use a 26" barrel? Would the edge's advantage still be there. All other things equal, I doubt the edge has a 150 fps advantage over the 338rum. Repeat - all other things equal. There just is not that much more capacity increase.

My one remaining concern with going with the Edge is reloading data, or the lack thereof. Is this justified?

My understanding is, use 300rum brass, use 300rum headspace gage, use 338rum dies, and adjust the die setting accordingly. Is this true???

Yes, you use the 300Rum brass and gauge. I had Shawn Carlock make me a 338Edge die, he starts with a 300Rum die and opens it up. I am using the bushing die. I also had Lee make a collet die for me.

I'd go with the Edge, as you will certainly see 100fps-125fps gain over the RUM.

The Edge has almost exactly 10% more capacity than the RUM.

AJ

I understand everyone wanting to squeeze the most out of your cartridge but you will only gain what your rifle will shoot best unless you just want fps.!
I shoot the RUM with a 26" tube but you can run the numbers on the Neco program and it will show you how much you gain or don't by barrel length and of course what the use of it is going to be a bench rig or a carriying hunting rig ?

gun)

Everything being equal, your only looking at 50-100fps. If I were to build a custom, I'd still go with the 338 edge, as brass prep for it is minimal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't recommend a 32" especially if plan on hunting with the rifle.
I've got a 28" Lilja (Sendero Contour) on my 338 Edge and actually have better velocity and less pressure problems than my buddies 32" Shillen on his Edge.
The Edge certainly has the glamour spotlight between the two.
Either will be great LR rifles if built by a good smith.

I'm not sure why a good gunsmith wouldn't chamber a Remington 700 in a .338 Lapua. Remington's M24A3 is a .338 Lapua and it's basically a Rem 700 action.

I personally would go with a .338 Edge as the .338 RUM Brass is getting hard to find and the overall cost of brass for the .338 Lapua is much more expensive than the RUM series. I do however like the qualities of the .338 lapua with the shorter case and being able to seat the bullets out farther but I'd rather have the case capacity of the .338 EDGE.

After I get done with this current build I'm working on, it's on to the bigger calibers. I don't have a .338 caliber anything so I'm looking seriously at the Edge. It would make a good long range hammer for me. This will be next years project.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.