338 ultra XCR

Truc

Just wondering if a new or like new Remington 338 Ultra mag XCR is worth $800, looks to be unfired in Blued finish. I could see the tell tale signs of the XCR treatment at the muzzle

Personally, I would not buy a new Remington for a new Remington price other than maybe a Sendero. I have 2 Senderos which I purchased used for good prices and I am very happy with them. They have been LR "learning" rifles for me.

One guy will say Remmy's are the greatest and another guy will say something different. Too much inconsistency for me.

IMO, the only thing worth keeping on an XCR is the action which you can buy used for a lot less.

If you want a good off the shelf 338, I would check into a Savage 338 Lapua. Both the rifle and the brass are superior.

Thanks, I owned a Savage Lapau briefly when I took it in on a trade, did not think much of it and traded it off for a factory Rem SS 270 Winchester and Leupold scope that shoots under a 1/2" now that it's in a McMillan stock.
I did see a 7mm Ultra Sendaro SS for 750 at another gun shop looked pretty clean.

I have a .338 RUM in the XCR 1 model and it shoots really great. Its been glass bedded and thats it. The factory stock is as stiff as an injection molded stock gets.
I originally bought it with the plan to re-barrel in a year or two, but it shoots most bullets very well with little load development. The down side is it heats up really fast.

I think that most bad reviews from remington come from people that buy the sps models and hope to make them drive tacks. They are the bottom of the remington heap and they shoot like it (although I bought a .243 thats a solid 3/4 MOA).

All that bing said, I wouldnt pay $800 for a used one. New, Yes. but not used.

There is no difference between a SPS and XCR except for the finish. Same action ,same barrels. The SPS's just has a rough finish and XCR's and older BDL's a much smoother finish. They both have the same accuracy potential.

You can find the XCRII in 338 RUM new for $799 on Guns America. Unless you can tell it has about a box of shells through it, I wouldn't pay more than about $550 for a used Remmy unless I can put it on a bench and it shoots sub MOA right then and there.

You can find the XCRII in 338 RUM new for $799 on Guns America. Unless you can tell it has about a box of shells through it, I wouldn't pay more than about $550 for a used Remmy unless I can put it on a bench and it shoots sub MOA right then and there.
You signature is absolute truth.

Thanks, I owned a Savage Lapau briefly when I took it in on a trade, did not think much of it and traded it off for a factory Rem SS 270 Winchester and Leupold scope that shoots under a 1/2" now that it's in a McMillan stock.
I did see a 7mm Ultra Sendaro SS for 750 at another gun shop looked pretty clean.
You're about maybe the 2nd person I've heard that wasn't happy with their Savage in recent years. I haven't owned one yet but it is probably the most popular out of the box factory rifle on this site.

With the Remmy's it seems like sometimes you get a good one and sometimes not. A bit of a gamble. I'm more of a Howa/Vanguard kinda guy and buy used ones from gunshows etc just for the actions and then put custom barrels and good stocks on them. I've gotten them as low as $200. A custom barrel runs about $350 and a B&C medalist about $250 and smithing about another $600 for a basic no thrills custom rifle.

Good luck with your XCR if you get it and I have to agree with highridge that the difference in cost vs the SPS is basically the finish if that's important to you?

The Savage 338 Lapau wasn't really a bad rifle but just wasn't me as far as that huge magazine hanging down and in the way.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts