A must have for every reloader

Yes.

I invested in a tap and now make my own from well fire formed cases. One for each rifle.

Fire forming with a book length and load.
Agree. I also make my own cases for the Hornady OAL guage by using fireformed brass for that specific rifle and drill and tapping them. One extra step to help the brass slide smoothly to the shoulder is to partially full size the case through a larger caliber parent die, if you have one, e.g., use a 30-06 for 270, 300 WSM for 270 WSM. Don't size far enough to bump the shoulder or lengthen the case but just enough to help it slide in the chamber to the shoulder (usually requires very little). The larger caliber die will not resize the neck of the smaller caliber so the bullet can still easilly slide through the fired case neck (must remove the expander-decamping unit from the larger caliber die first). Obviously there is not always a larger parent case available but I seem to have one on the shelf for most.

I cannot imagine reloading without a headspace comparator. I also am now a big fan of the method shown in Alex's video for finding the contact point at the lands. The plastic Hornady device gave me inconsistent results. So did the Sinclair tool, but it was more reliable.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.