A must have for every reloader

Alex Wheeler

I just wanted to make those who are not aware of this tool, aware of it. It is a must have tool for setting up your full length size die. Without a way to take a measurement from the case head to the datum point on the shoulder your just guessing at how much your pushing the shoulder back. That can lead to all kinds of issues. Use one of these tools on you caliper to take before and after measurements of sized cases. Setup your die to push the shoulder back .002-.003" and life will be good.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...headspace-gauge-5-bushing-set-with-comparator

I have been using that for a year or two and am quite satisfied with it's results in determining the case length after firing as well as case length after resizing. I am pretty sure many other's on this forum have utilized it and found it to have been useful.

I've been cheap and use a slightly flared 9mm on my 6.5Grendel, and a .45 pistol case on my 6.5 creedmoor. Then on my SAUM I use the trim chamber from my WFT. Maybe I'll buy the shoulder comparator set though, I have the bullet comparators for base to ogive measurements.

I have been using the bigger bullet comparitor bushings for my bump measurements. my custom dies came with bump gauges. Alex is right as usual tho :) , you really need to use something to set the shoulder

Used them for a couple years. Its the only way for my thick head to properly resize...

You should however, combine the Hornady case comparator set with the base to ogive (BTO) comparator. With the pair, you can bet a better idea where your bullets are exactly from the lands.

Unless you have the BTO comparator dummy cartridge made from a 2-3x fired round from YOUR gun(one that was only neck sized) then the Hornady comparator cartridge will measure the length of your rifles headspace SHORT. This will mean that you will UNDERESTIMATE how long the BTO of you loaded cartridges needs to be, using your own neck sized or shoulder bumped cases.

This is probably most critical, IMO, if you are trying to get close to the lands. Its in the .001 to .0010 range where very minor variations seem to really mess with things.

I think a lot of very experienced shooters will either jamb into the lands .005 or .010, or stay off the lands by at least .010 as well. If you are trying to get closer and maintain consistent jumps, you need to really be on top of a bunch of variables, the BTO being only one.

Anyhow, thought I would mention this. Its been discussed before in other threads as well.

Great product. Know its limitations....

Unless you have the BTO comparator dummy cartridge made from a 2-3x fired round from YOUR gun(one that was only neck sized) then the Hornady comparator cartridge will measure the length of your rifles headspace SHORT.

I had not considered that before. The fix would be to compare a fired cartridge with your Hornady modified case and then ADD the difference between those to your ogive calculations.

Nice.

I had not considered that before. The fix would be to compare a fired cartridge with your Hornady modified case and then ADD the difference between those to your ogive calculations.

Nice.

That is exactly what I do. I have a page where I write down all my initial measurements with a new gun, new bullet etc. Including the Base to shoulder reading of a 2x fired cartridge and the Hornady dummy cartridge. Then I add the difference to my BTO measurements.

The elusive measurement is the BOLT FACE to LANDS. And to a certain extent to Bolt face to shoulder. One should not assume they are identical to the measurements that the Hornady tool delivers. Close. But not identical. If you are loading close to the Lands that variation will cause trouble I think.

Used the Hornady modified cases for measuring to the lands but stopped due to the reasons mentioned above.

Now I use thew Wheeler method below. This is the most accurate and repeatable method I have used. You don't even need fire formed cases! You do need to removed the the spring ejector for an accurate reading but it is worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.