Must haves for the longrange shooters reloading bench?

CPerkins

I keep getting bugged by the wife for a list of things that I would like for Christmas. I was wondering what some of you would recommend as very beneficial equipment for reloading. I have all of the basics, but was wondering about suggestions for somethings that I might not know about. I know that I am lacking in tools to measure neck tension and thickness. Any good books on reloading for extreme accuracy would be good to.

I told her that a rifle would be nice and she just laughed.

A good neck thickness mic along with a good neck turning tool would be a good option , also a concentricy to check the runout of your loaded rounds would also be good.

Here is a good, very detailed book on reloading.

"Handloading for Competition: making the target bigger" by Glen D. Zediker

I wish I had read this book 5 years ago.

Other items that you might need or want to upgrade.

Good Digital calipers
Concentricity gauge
Stoney point gauges
Log books

?? its tough, as we don't know what you have now.

AJ

Here is a good, very detailed book on reloading.

"Handloading for Competition: making the target bigger" by Glen D. Zediker

I wish I had read this book 5 years ago.

Other items that you might need or want to upgrade.

Good Digital calipers
Concentricity gauge
Stoney point gauges
Log books

?? its tough, as we don't know what you have now.

AJ

Yeah, I guess that would help.
I have a good dial and a good digital caliper. I also have the stoney point bullet comperator and oal gauge. I have a good log book. I have a couple of pretty good scales, but I don't think that she is wanting to drop enough cash to get a scale that would be much better. However it never hurts to ask so if you have a really good scale that you could recommend it might be helpful.

This is just your luck Day! My preseason Christmas Sale has just begun and I am running a special 20% off on my world reknown Annealer.
Have you wife contact me. I accept cash, money orders or pecan pies.

annealer2.jpg
[/IMG]

May I put in my 2 cents worth???? I really am glad that I got a electric case trimmer. After 3 or 4 loads now I just run my cases thru my trimmer before loading to takecare of any stretch that might have occured.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already had the Zediker book on the list. I am looking at the RCBS Case master gaging tool or the forester CO-AX case and cartridge inspector. Anyone have either one or other suggestions to measure neck thickness and bullet run out.

Hi,

I originally bought the Forster concentricity guage. It worked OK, but............ I then borrowed a RCBS Case Master from a friend. It does so much more for not a lot more money that I bought my own about a month later, and never looked back, as the saying goes. It's also easier to use.

Also, another book you might be interested in "Precision Shooting Reloading Guide".

HTH.

One very important limiting factor with the Forster concentricity guage is if you are shooting very long cases they will not fit. pay particular attention to the maximum length case that will fit in the v blocks. I chose the RCBS Case master for that reason.

Hope that helps, But then again it is your Dollars.

odavid

I picked up the RCBS Trim Mate Case prep center and it has saved me a bunch of time, but I think the chargemaster has saved even more time. The only thing that I have to watch for with the Chargemaster is a too heavy charge by .1g to .3g. I only have that problem with a few powders, and I believe it's the way that the powder trickles out at the end of the weighing cycle. Some powders clump a bit I believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.