A must have for every reloader

I use Barrelnuts method for finding the lands but rough up my bullet with steel wool to see the land marks better. Keep seating until I get no marks. I agree, the Hornady OAL tool is basically worthless. Too many things wrong with it.

I finally decided to get serious about minimizing the working of my brass and use the comparator. Made the bushings up, just need to shoot some brass to try it out.

I started using the Hornady tool after some lee dies were setting the shoulders back .014 screwed to touch the shell holder. It was on an encore so couldn't really go by the bolt feel method for sizing. Needless to say that brass(350 rem mag) didn't last long.

As for the Hornady coal gauge. I use a wooden dowel or coated cleaning rod pushed down the muzzle and while pushing the rod on the Hornady tool push with the dowel. You can work them back and forth and get a good feel for when the bullet is going in the lands. The above video looks basically like the sinclair gauge. The weakness I see here is you are relying on a base to tip measurement and not to the ogive. With some bullets those numbers can vary several thou.

The weakness I see here is you are relying on a base to tip measurement and not to the ogive. With some bullets those numbers can vary several thou.

Tagging in...bought one when this thread first started and just now found the thread back again!

Now for the above quote...

If the bullets vary so much...why doesn't that effect the flight (ie...POI) of the bullets? Seems if none of the bullets where the same shape none of the precision work would be of much use...

It seems to me the BC would change and cause more issues at long ranges just like having a big ES....

Tagging in...bought one when this thread first started and just now found the thread back again!

Now for the above quote...

If the bullets vary so much...why doesn't that effect the flight (ie...POI) of the bullets? Seems if none of the bullets where the same shape none of the precision work would be of much use...

It seems to me the BC would change and cause more issues at long ranges just like having a big ES....

It's because the ogive is what contacts the lands and not the tip. It is very common depending on bullet type and tip construction to have bullets measure several thou difference. Open a box of new bullets and measure them. The ogive length on the bullets is much more consistent. Hornady also makes a tool to measure bullet length from the ogive. After using their coal tool to measure the bullet to lands you can take their comparator on your calipers and measure length from base to ogive. The only other consideration is to make sure the coal will fit and function in your rifles magazine. With some factory rifles due to mag length you may not be able to get very close to the lands unless you plan on single loading.

With some factory rifles due to mag length you may not be able to get very close to the lands unless you plan on single loading.

My newest rifle I put together over the weekend is built on Savage Axis action that used to be 30-06. The 6.5 x 284 feeds perfectly out of the 06 mag, plus there is a ton of room for the longer bullets. It should make a nice shooter.

I wish Hornady would publish a resource that tells you what bushing to use for what caliber. Instructions list a few but not very comprehensive.

I'm by no means an expert. I just got mine a week ago, but from what I can see...if your close to the middle of the shoulder you should be GTG.

Your not measuring a published spec...you're measuring the difference between two cases. As long as they are measured at the same location on the brass that is what your looking for.

That's a very useful tool. Been using it for about 2 years now. It prevents case head separation and much more.

I just wanted to make those who are not aware of this tool, aware of it. It is a must have tool for setting up your full length size die. Without a way to take a measurement from the case head to the datum point on the shoulder your just guessing at how much your pushing the shoulder back. That can lead to all kinds of issues. Use one of these tools on you caliper to take before and after measurements of sized cases. Setup your die to push the shoulder back .002-.003" and life will be good.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...headspace-gauge-5-bushing-set-with-comparator
Thanks for sharing I need to get some of these

I wish Hornady would publish a resource that tells you what bushing to use for what caliber. Instructions list a few but not very comprehensive.

Hornady doesn't have to because SAAMI does. For instance the headspace for .308 Winchester is that point on the shoulder that is .400" in diameter. It is about halfway on the shoulder. Measuring from cartridge base to that point on a fully fireformed case (you would use the 0.40" insert) will tell you the exact headspace of your chamber, that way you can adjust your sizing die to consistently set the shoulder back only 1 or 2 thousanths to ensure proper feeding without setting it back too much and overworking the brass. The chamber specifications show the chamber headspace to be 1.630-1.640" from the bolt face. Longer or shorter is out of spec.

Didn't someone post the link earlier in this thread for the SAAMI chamber and cartridge dimension specifications?

Edit: Same discussion but a different forum. Here is the SAAMI specifications page. You want the cartridge and chamber drawings link. It's a 10M, 375 page PDF file with I think all but the newest wildcats. Just out of curiosity, what cartridge are you looking for the headspace specs for?

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.